SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emmers_m

no spray fruit/nut trees in NJ - am I on the right track?

emmers_m
14 years ago

Hi, everyone,

I moved into a house about a year ago that's on .9 of an acre, and I'm hoping to put in some fruit and nut trees.

As I'm trying to be organic/sustainable and I'm fairly lazy :) I'm not interested in spraying the trees. I've already had my rude awakening from asking my ext. office and doing some research that this disqualifies me from most of the 'normal' fruits (which of course were the ones I originally hoped to grow!)

But some further research has raised my hopes again that there might be some types of fruit I can grow after all. I think I have room for about 8 trees on 16ft centers along a fence line, which I hope to choose from the following list.

Please let me know if any of the trees on the list would require spraying in my area and I need to lower my expectatons once more!

Tree types: (I would plant 1 or 2 depending on pollinization reqiurements, which I will post seperate questions about)

Pear, Seckel - the only traditional fruit I thought I could get away with.

Asian Pear, Olympic Giant and/or Shinko - for fireblight resistance, if I need that quality in NJ (?)

Paw Paw*

American Persimmon*

Mulberry*- If I can find a Juneberry*

Jujube*

Filbert

So am I missing anything that should be on my list, or (probably more likely) is there anything I should eliminate?

* indicates types that I've never tried, which is unfortunately most of them. Anyone know of any mail order places, or any other way to do a little taste-testing?

Thanks for your help!

Comment (1)