SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piper101_gw

Problem with peach trees

piper101
16 years ago

Hi and thank you all in advance for you help.

SITUATION: We bought this older home that had a very old peach tree & younger p.tree (ages of both, unknown). We saw home in July 2 yrs ago & had fruit that birds etc. had eaten since pits on ground w/rotting flesh. We move in and since I noticed curling leaf,,I bought the Dormant spay (lime-sulfur fungicide) by Lilly Miller,,I sprayed it in spring before budding. Leaves come out last yr,,all curled and reddish etc. Went back to garden ctr & was told I should have sprayed in fall & spring. So this yr. I missed both sprayings. Tree has very little leaf strangeness, it flowered somewhat but no buds or fruit except for 2 tiny buds that went no where. My neighbor up the slope and maybe 50 ft away from these trees has peaches on her tree right now, so not a pollination problem. There is a second younger peach tree about 3-4 ft approx from the main tree,,nothing there either. I don't know if both were pruned all along or not,,we bought from orig owner who put in lemon tree to right of main peach tree that must be original as it's about 30-40 ft high & we'll guess 10-15 ft away from main peach,,at time of purchasing houses that tree had something wrong as most lemons were disfigured. All trees were sprayed this one time,,don't know if something from/on lemon affected the peach trees or not.

I've read several of the peach tree questions here on the board last night. At this point looks like I need to prune back, maybe severelly,,do I do it now while leaves are on so I can see where to thin,open up canopy,,wait til leaves fall off or what? Learned a lot here already. I have no idea of species of peach trees or if even the same. See pictures below. Any and all help will be appreciated,,I live about 5-6 miles from coast in So. Calif so fog isn't a problem.. I've seen where some say fertilize,,some not. I'm told by realtor at time that fruit was really delicious and I love peaches. Where should I start?

Canopy of main tree,,approx 15' across & 12' tall from ground to top of tree, according to husband. Gets continuous sun this time of yr,,block wall is only as high as main branches so not a problem & when sun sets, 1 story home is all tha blocks sun, very late,,so not a problem there.

{{gwi:114791}}

Looking at trunks of both trees,,smaller one to left approx. 3' away.

{{gwi:114792}}

Partial canopy of main tree on rt. and younger tree on left

{{gwi:114793}}

Base of main tree

{{gwi:114794}}

looking up at 1 canopy shot of main tree one toward sky

{{gwi:114795}}

looking from main tree trunk(s) toward the 2nd tree up the slop a little

{{gwi:114796}}

branch structure of main tree:

{{gwi:114797}}

I have more pictures from 2nd story window etc. if needed,,sorry if too much info. Thank you, Nicole

Comments (15)