SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ella_socal

What is eating my peaches?

ella_socal
16 years ago

I put in a Babcock peach tree this year and was pleased to find 10 peaches develop. I've been watching them grow for the past few months. Then, last week, the gardeners took 5. I was pretty peeved, but got over it since I still have 5 and put a sign on the gate saying not to pick the fruit. Note that the tree is in the backyard, which is fenced and surrounded by other homes. The tree does not hang over the fences.

Fast forward to today. Peaches are almost ripe. Window washers are here. One guy in the yard, sign is on the gate. After they leave, I notice I only have 3 peaches on the tree. I feel like I'm going insane. Could this guy really have blatantly disregarded the sign and taken two peaches while cleaning the windows? Honestly, he didn't look the fruit-stealing type (whatever that means). So I'm trying to figure out if something else could be taking them. The fruit is cleanly gone from the tree. No bits on the ground. No trace of the missing fruit. I did see a hawk in my yard yesterday near the peach tree -- do hawks eat fruit? I don't have squirrels. Do raccoons and opposums cleanly take fruit from trees?

I've wrapped the remaining fruit in netting but I'm wondering what I'm up against for next year. Animals? Or do I just need to keep people out of my yard during the month of June?

Comments (4)