SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

Plant a little garden; eat a lot of peaches - songs I really dig

Annie
18 years ago

There was a post awhile back while I was in the hospital asking what you listen to when you garden. I like classical music some days, and some days I listen to KOMA Oldies. Sometimes I like the old-time songs, Folk music, or country music that I find on the radio, but some days I play my CDs. While weeding and cultivating, I can do a lot of contemplating about what is going on in the world, in this country - my intense concerns about the future and the world environment. I get actively involved in these issues (always have) that concern us all and music often is a great avenue to open my thoughts in many ways. Sometimes a song comes on that makes me happy "Feel Good Music" and I have to move, so I dance and sing around in the garden. Among my many favorite song writers and performers is Mr. John Prine.

Here's part of a little tune I like that was written and performed by John Prine back a few years ago or ten or twenty. I like to sing it alot while "I'm in the Garden":

Spanish Pipe Dream

"She was a level-headed dancer on the road to alcohol

And I was just a soldier on my way to Montreal

Well she pressed her self against me

About the time the juke box broke

Yeah, she gave me a peck on the back of the neck

And these are the words she spoke"

(Chorus)

"...Blow up your t.v.; throw away your paper;

Go to the country; build you a home.

Plant a little garden; eat a lot of peaches;

Try an find Jesus on your own"

"...Well, I was young and hungry and about to leave that place

When just as I was leavinÂ, well she looked me in the face

I said "you must know the answer."

"she said, "no but IÂll give it a try."

And to this very day weÂve been livin our way

And here is the reason why

(Chorus)

We blew up our t.v.. Threw away our paper;

Went to the country. Built us a home.

Had a lot of children. Fed Âem on peaches.

They all found Jesus on their own"

------------------------------------------------

I'm just an old hippie, I guess, but I just love that song and that man. Love his satire. Love his bleeding heart.

Been listening to his music all morning...so much was written decades ago, but they are so poignant and still relevant today.

~ Love & Peace. . .SweetAnnie

Comments (12)