SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mega82

Winter seeds not germinating

MegA82
10 years ago

Hi, I'm hoping for some advice on my first fall/winter veggie garden.

I started much of my fall/winter garden from seed on August 27th according to zone-specific advice. I planted seeds for several kinds of lettuce, broccoli, collard greens & swiss chard, cabbages, carrots, & radish. So far the only seeds to germinate are my arugula and radish. Everything else shows no sign of seedlings. The few transplants I purchased and planted (cauliflower, brussels sprouts, etc) are doing very well.

My question is- did I plant too early, is it still too warm here? (80's most days). How long should I wait for signs of germination before I give up on the current planting and sow more seeds? (most everything is well past the 10 day germination average).

Details on my garden-

I live in zone 7, near Charlotte, NC. I'm planting in 2 raised beds, 4x8 and 18 inches deep filled with high quality soil & compost. I grew successfully in the summer (if you don't count the insane amount of rain ruining half my veggies, and the deer eating the other half!). Beds are on the north side of my house and get full sun from sunrise until about 3pm. We haven't had much rain lately so I've been watering thoroughly every 2-3 days.

Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath