SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
windyrr2

germinating amaryllis seeds in winter?

windyrr2
17 years ago

Hi,

I live in Florida and this winter I am in a amaryllis pollinating frenzy. I have several seed pods growing. my question is: How easy are they to germinate in winter? Should I be sowing the seeds right away, or storing them to sow in the spring? If so What's the best way to store them ? The last couple years, I germinated mine in late spring/ early & late summer as I had bought them off eBay. I mostly used a soil less mix. Sometimes, though I just used Miracle Gro potting soil.And they germinated and grew fine. But this is my first year trying to do it in the winter.

I did already sow some seeds I just harvested a few weeks ago.

No sign of life yet.

Do, I need to use bottom heat or just place them in indirect light indoors?

I was taking them outside on nice days and placing them under the porch awning, as we had some days in the high 70's and even 80's a few weeks ago.I was successful the last few years when I sowed the seeds in spring/summer, in that location. .

Now it's cold out again so the containers must stay in doors.

I know they're slower in winter as Lora sent me seeds early this winter, and I planted them right away, taking them outside when temps were in the high 70's and 80's but keeping them inside when it got below 70. Some just showed some green a week ago. So, I observed that they seem to germinate and grow much faster in warmer weather. But the last week I have placed the seeds Lora gave me on a heat mat and then they started showed the green. So, it seems the heat mat didn't hurt, but maybe even helped them germinate and grow faster. BUT, I'd hate to be wrong and then harvest the seeds from all the pods I have growing and kill them by using the heat mat to try and grow them on cold days.

Is the heat mat good or bad for them? How are others, especially those living in "The Sunshine State" growing theirs this winter. Should I just give them good indirect lighting indoors and maybe take them outside if we have the really warm days again like we have on and off in winter here, and that's all they need? Should I wait till spring? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Cheryl

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions