SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenie88

Outdoor solar lights

greenie88
13 years ago

I wonder if anybody has noticed what I have.

I have a outdoor raised bed planted with bush beans, broccoli, strawberries (don't ask why) and basil. During the day I never see any bugs. When I check on my young plants in the morning, something ate half a leaf on a basil plant. The bush beans have more holes. Etc. One night I went out with my flashlight and caught an armyworm eating a bush bean plant. Kind of interesting because it must have migrated from the grass at that means it had to climb up 10" of cedar board to get to the plants.

I was at Home Depot and I bought two solar lights on sale and put them in the corners of the beds. The LED lights don't provide a whole lot of light. It was a whimsical purchase and I really didn't see a need for them. But since they have been in place, all the night time munching has stopped. I have noticed a lot more lizards.

Do the lights actually intimidate nighttime pests, or do you think the extra light at nights tips the balance to the predators?

Those who have lighted gardens, what is your observation? Are the plants more or less chewed upon by night visitors?

Comments (8)