SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joel_bc

Question for Tapla/Al: vintage indoor plants

joel_bc
15 years ago

Hi, Al (hope you're around these days).

Probably like many others here at GW "Houseplants", a combination of personal experience and experimentation coupled with your posts has resulted in my using a "faster" & "spacier" growing medium than I used to. I don't mix natural mineral loam or any compost into my mixes anymore. My mix is still probably more organic than yours tend to be, since I don't want to water/feed every 48 hours - but prefer to water every four days or so, and feed lightly about every 10 days during the sunnier months. A toast to airier soils!

Anyhow, reflecting on things you've written, I'm prompted to ask something. I've read a number of older books (found in used book stores) about keeping indoor plants, and the ones written 30 years ago or more generally recommnded growing media that actually still had a soil component. And perlite seemed unheard of. Vermiculite seems only to be mentioned in books from around 1975 and later. Older books, presumably reflecting the best practices of the times, definitely put forward heavier, less gritty and less airy soil mixes. Sand was generally relied upon as the component for drainage.

But now the mystery: You watch old movies from the 1930s, '40 & '50s, and in scenes in hotels and offices, you often see big, beautiful, healthy indoor plants. So what's the explanation?

Joel

Comments (9)