SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
readererin

Spider Mites on my Silver Bay *~HELP~*

readererin
15 years ago

I did a very bad no-no and bought a robust Silver Bay (Aglaonema) from the super market 2 months ago. it dropped a few leaves at first and I thought I'd just water it a little less and let it acclimate itself. It seemed to steady itself, but last week I noticed the leaves were drying and turning to rust and with the leaves bright whitish centers I could clearly see the red spider mites (something I thoroughly checked for when I bought the plant).

I havent had mites since before I stopped killing houseplants as a rule. I can't spray toxic chemicals, i've got very young children and small birds LOL.

I tried the alcohol, but that was fairly useless. Then I vacuumed the leaves. Then I took hand dusters and wiped each and every one of the hundred and fifty or so of them!

I hear that insecticidal soaps don't work very well because they only "suppress" the mites, and I really don't want to introduce any other critters into my home to eat these ones...

Right now I have it isolated in the bath tub on a foot stool above 2 inches of cold water.

I love it and I want to save it and am willing to work at it! Is this hopeless?

Comments (3)