SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wolly6973

Planting new peach and apple trees - How to?

wolly6973
9 years ago

Posted this on the tree forum since I did not see this forum, so I am re-posting over here.

I have some apple and peach trees coming to me from Stark Bros and I need some guidance on planting them. I have been researching and I am now somewhat confused!
I have the following varieties coming. Jon-A-Red Semi-Dwarf Apple, Candy Crisp Semi-Dwarf Apple, Burbank July Elberta Standard Peach, and Redhaven Standard Peach. These are all shipped bare-root.

They will all be planted in lawn area. My soil has quite a bit of clay (not red) and we got a lot of wind (Kansas).

So far from my research here are my plans...

1. Dig hole about 4 ft wide and just deep enough to cover all the roots.
2. Put tree in hole and fill back in with original soil compacting lightly with tamper.
3. Water well with low flow
4. Stake - I have some of the cheapo stake kits with garden hose, rope, and stakes. I also have some of the big metal stakes and a wide strap to tie in a figure 8 around them. Is one method preferred? I will only be staking for the first year.
5. Place 2-3" of mulch over dug up area making sure not to get too close to the base of the tree.

Are my plans solid or should I make some changes?

Any good advice or links for ongoing care of these guys? I am a complete fruit noob.

Comments (10)