SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bejay9_10

Low-chill apple/peach tree update - how are yours??

bejay9_10
13 years ago

I have several low-chill type apples - Anna, Golden Dorsett, Ein Sheimer, - and I think Gala. The Anna and Dorsett are 3 years old now, the others last year's planting.

The peach are Florida Prince and Bonanza.

The Prince doesn't seem to care for our colder winters, and is struggling to bud out, looking pretty much as when planted.

The Bonanza is doing great and is loaded with fruit again. I note it is listed as a container plant, but was hoping it would at least get to 4-5 feet, but still short. Good taste to fruit - (like Elberta).

Anna apple - planted 3 years ago, struggled to come out of dormancy, but now has lots of blossoms. A new one planted last year doing much better. I was worried that Anna might be dying - it was so slow.

Golden Dorsett - great set and early budding. This may be the tree that grows best here.

A newly planted Ein Sheimer set a lot of apples, that are still small but looking as if they are ripening - very red in color and looking like "crab-types."

A Gala struggling - does it need a pollinator - possibly not enough chill here - (zone 22-23). But perhaps a bit slow.

Would appreciate hearing from any who have these trees - especially over 3-5 years growth. I'm still not convinced that they will be a long term relationship in this warmer climate.

Bejay

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert