SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
axel_hb

Real Low Chill Fruit Trees

Axel
15 years ago

This Winter here in Santa Cruz has provided the ideal weather to test low chill fruit trees. We accumulated a total of about 470 hours of chill until early Jan, after which temps have soared into the 70's and low 80's. This is a record, as we are seeing weather normally reserved for Santa Barbara southward.

Any fruit tree that has received enough chill would be coming out of dormancy and bloom vigorously all at once.

Out of over 200 apple varieties that I grow, only Dorsett Golden and Anna are putting on a massive bloom. All the other varieties are dormant, although some are starting to show signs of life.

On the apricots, the clear winnter is Gold Kist, followed by Katy. Blennheim is stiring a bit, Moorpark and the rest are dead dormant.

On the plums, pretty much all of them are coming into bloom, but Inca is the clear leader, it's fully engulfed in flowers. Next is Santa Rosa, followed by Catalina.

Out of the pears, it was very interesting to note that most of them are completely dormant, except for the French "Beurre Superfin". It's about to go into complete bloom.

Out of the cherries, all of them are dormant except for the new low chill Zeiger selections: Royal Lee, Royal Lynn, and Mini Royal that are on Citation with the Zee interstem. These are about to bloom very vigorously, and very evenly and all at once. Interestingly, I also have Royal Lee and Mini Lee on Mazzard, most of which seem quite a bit behind of the interstems. There was a rumor that the interstem on citation lowers the chill requirements even further. From my observations, this is turning out to be true.

On the pluots, the clear winner is Flavor King. Flavor queen is starting to bloom, but it's very uneven.

So from what I can gather, the real low chill fruit trees are:

- Anna Apple

- Dorsett Golden Apple

- Flavor King pluot

- Beurre Superfin pear

- Gold Kist Apricot

- Royal Lee, Royal Lynn and Mini Royal cherries

All of the above seem to have similar chill requirements to Dorsett Golden or Anna, and therefore should be excellent choices for Southern California and Central/Norcal coastal and Bay area low chill zones.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner