SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
persi108

How to plant/care for a persimmon tree?

persi108
12 years ago

I was given a persimmon tree, I believe Fuyu, three years ago by a friend. I was living in a rental apt and had no idea what to do with it but called the nursery where it came from only to find out that it's not meant to grow in my area. I was told to leave it inside the first winter in a room that didn't get above 60 degrees. The second winter it went outside, in a large pot that was buried in the ground next to the house. Honestly, I thought I'd killed it but to my shock it survived! Since I had nowhere else to really put it, it spent a third winter that way as well and actually had a single fruit last year!

Now I've moved and have a yard I can put it in, but I'm not sure how large it will actually get so I don't quite know where to put it. I've lost the name of the nursery where it originated and I'm not 100% sure I'm even right on the type of persimmon tree it is.

It's currently sitting in the pot in my backyard, waiting to be planted. Is it ok to plant this time of year? There are dozens of tiny little green fruits on the tree, will moving it from pot to ground disrupt them? I can certainly wait till the tree becomes dormant if that's better, I don't know. It's still growing even in the pot, there are new shoots from the current branches so I don't believe it is root bound at this point. Prior to removing it from the ground, was about 7 feet tall or so I'm guessing. Am I supposed to prune it? It's not grown a lot since I got it, perhaps 3 feet or so. Just not sure if that's normal growth or a slow growth due to the climate and/or the fact that I've kept it in a pot for three years.

I'm providing a link to some pics if that helps anyone with my questions. They are from my phone and taken late so the lighting isn't very good, apologies for the quality.

Here is a link that might be useful: photos of my tree

Comments (5)