SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunkirst

Fruit trees with seasonal high water table?

sunkirst
12 years ago

Just moved to a small farm. The soil is a rich silty clay loam (about 12" deep) above a orange and gray mottled clay (this is at least 2 feet deep under the topsoil).

This spring (late April) I set about digging planting holes for a couple of sweet cherries (on Mahaleb) and couple of apples (on M111). The planting holes filled with water after one of this spring's many rains, and wouldn't drain. Looked online and found that this soil has a seasonal high water table (Usually from Dec. until May - Gulp!)

My holes were +/- 4' in diameter, and after bailing out the water, I added 3 wheelbarrow loads of compost to the backfill and planted on smallish mounds with the roots just above the soil line. Mulched well with wood chips. Everything leafed out quickly, but then the cherries just stalled, and gradually began dieing (upper leaves first). The apples look fine, and have been putting on new growth. There is an apple on the property (young Queen Cox on EMLA26) planted at ground level - it set fruit this year), and an old standard apple next door.

Questions:

Would it be better for me to plant in the fall? --OR--

Would it be better for me to build mounds this fall for spring planting?

I have no surplus of topsoil to build mounds. Is a topsoil/sand/humus blend recommended for tree mounds?

My soil was so wet this spring that back filling amounted to crumbling the clay by hand and alternating shovelfuls of compost and clay (not a consistent mixture). Is there a recommended method for gradually "easing" from your amended mound to the native soil?

I have a tree trimming friend who gives me wood chips. Anyone try the permaculture technique of building raised beds on a woody base? Did it work?

In doing some research it looks like Gisela 6 rootstock might be a better choice if I want to grow cherries - anyone want to share experiences with cherries on a poorly drained soil?

Sorry to have so many questions - I really want my fruit trees to live (and thrive!).

Thanks!

Comments (5)