SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
desertrat1

Getaway Day Trip

desertrat1
15 years ago

I just wanted to share that I really enjoyed myself yesterday. WE had a three-fold purpose and who was I to miss an opportunity to get to our Getaway? My nephew just got his provisional drivers license. My sister wanted to take him place that he could practice so she suggested last weekend about having him drive there. The 2nd reason was just to get out of town to a place I LOVE and the 3rd was to check on our place and a neighbor there at the Glen Oaks Ranch. A fire had started last Saturday 6 miles NW of our land. We were concerned because the winds there can get very crazy. Thank goodness though that they are moving in a NE direction. So, The boys and I (Sean 15 and Nathan 12) lead the way. Kerrie my sister and her son Ian (15) followed. IT was a great way for Ian to learn all kinds of driving skills/practice. We had the freeway, passing trucks, dealing with people who want to ride your tail going 80, narrow windy roads going up and down, road construction, dirt roads and driving slow through them and also some off roading, cows, and making sure you didn't hit the dead skunk in the middle of the road. After we got there we took a hike around. The boys headed back up after we got to the bottom of our land ( I call it the bottom 5). Kerrie and I walked over to our neighbor Dave and Lisa's place. Had a great visit and showed us their garden. Gardening up there is very rewarding as long as you can keep the critters and cows out. Dave had warned us about the ratttlesnakes. BUT, we didn't see any. It's sad, but smart, when I'm hiking/walking anywhere in the desert I always look at the ground. Those snakes can camoflage real well. Dave had told us that he had seen one slither down the embankment close to his house and the snake was huge, had no fear and had at least 15 rattles on it! It was interesting becuase we could hear what we thought were Katydids and they were. But Dave said that the rattlers sound just like that! So, we always must be careful. He's killed 5 of them already this year. But, regardless of the snakes, I love our land still--even when it's 90+ and brown! IT's definitely a land of 4 seasons!

I just had to share. Maybe I need to buy me a lottery ticket. A well would be a great start! :-) Don't mind me I'm just dreaming and wishing and hoping (and trying to find a way to pay for it all!).

TTYL

Love, Jules

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH