SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thecityman

Extreme OFM pressure

First- a quick thanks to everyone on this forum who have been kind enough to help me in my fruit tree journey. This has been the most enjoyable spring so far. I check this forum 1-2 times every day just to soak up the knowledge, though I rarely post since I still have so much to learn.

But now I need a little help. My peaches are being destroyed by what I'm 99% certain is Oriental Fruit Moths. (tiny, maggot looking critter WITH BROWN HEAD that leaves a tiny, oozing whole on outside of baby peach and burrows itself into the seed, where it feeds). Its causing my marble sized peaches to fall off in big numbers. BUT HERE IS THE THING: I have sprayed my peach trees EVERY 10 DAYS on the dot with Spectracide Triazicide (Gamma-Cyholthrin) and if it rained, I sprayed the very next day each time. ALSO, when my buds swelled just before leafing out, I soaked the tree with Ortho Volck Oil Dormant Spray. All this has worked pretty well on my small trees (3 year old, 6 ft tall), but I have one old, full size peach tree that was here when I moved in and which has suffered what appears to be 100% infestation. Really....every single peach on the entire tree has the little tell-tell hole suggesting it has an OFM larvae inside it. I confess that there are parts of this large tree that my sprayer probably just isn't hitting. But knowing this, I've soaked the bottom half of this tree to the dripping point every 10 days. Just for good measure I've also hit it (and other peach trees) once every 3 weeks with Bonide Fruit Tree Spray (Captan 12%, Malathion 6%, Carbaryl .3%). I just don't know what else I could have done.

Even if I'm not getting the top of the tree, shouldn't all the above described oils and sprays prevent the areas I have hit on the tree from getting OFM damage? This tree is quite old and sick looking so if I need to just cut it down I will, but in spite of all its sickness and damage, it still produces a lot of fruit (though it is all doomed the way it looks now!). And my small trees also have minor OFM damage, but definitely much less than last year thanks to following instructions you folks gave me (dormant oil, spectracide, etc). So, is there anything else I can do? Is it unusual to still have so much damage in spite of using dormant oil, then using 2 pesticides every 10 days or less? Is pheromone use a viable option for a small-time hobbyist like me? I keep reading about it being used in commercial orchards to "confuse" OFM, but I have seen little mention in this forum so I suspect it may not be a practical/common option. In short, I feel like I've done all I possibly can but I still have HEAVY infestation on my big tree and some on my small trees. Any insight into why and/or what to do in the face of such heavy ofm pressure? Thanks all. (sorry so long)

Comments (11)