SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riptidefrog

Huge, Wide leaves on a....Spider plant?

riptidefrog
17 years ago

In january i received a container of spider plants from a friend that passed them along to me after getting them from another friend. These plants all came in a used yogurt container in plain water. They were all green in color and all had similar foilage except for one.

This one was also solid green but the leaves seemed very glossy and a bit more fleshy......almost more wet. Like they contained more water. These leaves were the same width and the same thickness and length (about) as the other plants.

I planted all the others together and some are now putting off little spiders of their own that my cat is systematically chomping once they reach a certain length and thus his attention. But the one with the glossy leaves i planted alone and it has really taken off.

I am trying to attach some pictures so you can see it. It is much larger than the other spider plants that i have and the leaves are very wide, the newer ones are wider than my lime draceana. The newer leaves have developed varigation (sp) with green remaining on the edges and white patterning in the "vee" of the leaf in a way i am unfamiliar seeing in spider plants.

It hasnt pupped yet so i am wondering if this is even a spider plant at all. Considering the size of the leaves i'd think it might actually be a dracaena if i didnt know better. These leaves arent tough like a dracaena though and i think they would damage easily.

I am holding up a quarter right on the leaf in the photo so you can gauge the size.

Is this really a spider plant? If not does anybody have any idea what it could be?

I was unable to get the pictures to download on this site so i posted it elsewhere. The link should be below

Here is a link that might be useful: other forum

Comments (9)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!