SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenelbows1

Hawaiian Palm--Brighamia insignis

greenelbows1
18 years ago

Yesterday we had a meeting at the home--well, mostly in the yard!--of a lady with a great passion for plants and enough space and money to indulge it. I don't know if I'm jealous--I think a little--but she has so much land she has to have several people helping, which I would not like so much. Anyway, one of the interesting plants she had--actually, two matching pots, were of a plant she knew only as Hawaiian Palm. Very interesting looking caudiciform, obviously not a palm. So I had fun last night surfing for an identity, and also got some great information. It is indeed from Hawaii, and was near extinction when some intrepid and dedicated plant people started climbing up and down on ropes to get to the few remaining populations and collect and distribute pollen, and collect seeds so there are now more plants in botanical gardens and collections than in their native areas. Another common name, much more descriptive than 'Hawaiian Palm', is 'Cabbage on a Stick', which doesn't sound as attractive. It has a full rosette of shiny foliage and yellow fragrant flowers. Have any of you seen it, or are you lucky enough to have it?

Comments (22)