SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennabee_gw

Pests on Ti Plant and other Tropicals..

jennabee
16 years ago

Hi, I just received a Kiwi Ti Plant (Cordyline Fruticosa) in the mail a week ago. I have been giving it omptimum light and watering for its success.

I just noticed this morning that the leaves of the plant (there are only about 5 or 6, as its just a baby), have little brown spots randomly on them, and those areas are drying out on the leaf. Then I also noticed at the same time a small worm about 1/4 inch long, somewhat transparent, and dark brown on one end, lighter brown on the other. Very small little worm-like critter.

When I received it I saw a spider crawl across the soil and back into the dirt. He was reddish brown, and about the size of a flea.

I came back to check on the plant this afternoon, and now there is a hole in one of the leafs! Also, I saw a gnat emerge when I took the plant out of the pot to inspect the roots and look for pests.

It seems as though I have three suspects (that are not ME!) who are contributing to my lovely Kiwi's decline. And whats worse, I was growing it next to two of my other favorite tropicals; an Anthurium and some other one I bought at Home Depot that had no specific name. The Anthuriums were not cheap, and buy the time I bought the right soil, fertilizer, container, and the plant, I had spent over $55 on my Anthuriums, and I do not want to see them tank on me. The Home Depot one I've had for almost a year and it has been growing so much lately, I'd hate to see it die too. I just now noticed a hole in one of its leaves... and I fear those critters got onto this guy!

So I need your help! If anyone has any good suggestions for getting rid of these critters... let me know. I dont know what any of these bugs are, and I heard you have to know what pests you have in order to buy the right pesticides... but I just am unsure. I would love to get an all-around pesticide that will kill them all off, but will not injure the plants themselves. Whatever I use on the Ti Plant, I would also like to use on the unidentified Tropical (that grew a new mysterious hole in it) and my Anthuriums. What has worked for others? I need help as soon as possible so I know my plants are safe.

Comments (6)