SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilacs_of_may

Time questions -- how long till...?

lilacs_of_may
16 years ago

My one Brussels sprout plant is pretty big, and I can see tiny sprouts forming at the juncture of each leaf. Right now they're about pinhead size. How long will it be before I can harvest them for the table? Brussels sprouts don't mind frost, do they? Are they like broccoli in that frost makes them sweeter?

My zucchinis are growing quickly, and they're forming flower buds, although none has bloomed yet. Assuming they get pollinated, how long before I can make zucchini boats out of them?

My tomatoes are beginning to bud, how long before I can get tomatoes to chop up into the zucchini boats?

My melons have a couple true leaves on them. I planted them before I planted the zukes, but they're growing very slowly. How long before melons?

And please don't get on my case for planting these things too late. For the most part, I DID plant them on time, but in the case of the zukes and the melons, it took six weeks before I got plants that didn't succumb to heat or flea beetles.

This is my first year planting a lot of this stuff. Last year I almost got zukes. They were about marble size when frost hit. And I know what the seed packets say, but I also know that that's from seed to harvest, not from pinhead size sprout, or bud, to harvest. And with my wacky weather and garden this year, I don't know how accurate that's going to be, anyway.

I'm writing all the dates down, when planted, when budded, etc., and in future years I'll be able to look back and get a good idea of what to expect in my garden. But I'm curious now as to what I can expect when this year.

The garlic's harvested. The basil, thyme, sage, and oregano is ready to go. I want zucchini and tomatoes to go with them!

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert