SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uniquelydivine

New Plant Lover In Distress! Please Help!

uniquelydivine
11 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I posted this in the wrong forum and was instructed to re-post in the Houseplant Forum.

I just started loving plants last year and now I have some but are experiencing problems.

I have a Croton I bought about 2 weeks ago and noticed a mushroom and gnats coming out of the soil between yesterday and today. Someone told me the soil is contaminated and I should return the Croton. I see nothing bad happening to the leaves but I want to be safe than sorry. What should I do?

I also bought a Calathea (Praying Plant) this past Wednesday and they used the Miracle Gro Palm, Cactus and Citrus soil to do the repot. I'm not sure this was the best soil to use and its my fault too cause I just stood there and didn't say anything or ask any questions. Should I be worried? I saw tiny particles that look like salt on the soil but I'm guessing since its Cactus soil it will look like that.

I bought both of these plants at Home Depot and they were in plastic pots (the nursery pots) and the roots were beginning to come from the bottom.

If I decide to bring them back and start over (which I think is my best bet at this point), what is the general rule for repotting? Should I do it immediately after I purchase the plant or should I wait about a 1-3 months to repot the plant? If they roots are coming out of the bottom of the nursery pot, can they wait a while before I repot the plant?

The plants were repotted in Terra Cotta (Clay) Pots and they have a white residue that comes on the pots (it looks unattractive to me and no matter how I try to clean the residue off I have no luck). Does anyone know what will take the residue off?

Is there an alternative to Terra Cotta (Clay) that will be fine for my plants? Are plastic or glazed terra cotta (the shiny pots) safe to use? I would be repotting: Croton, Calathea (Praying Plant) and an Anthurium. Will those be fine when potted in alternatives to clay?

Thanks!

Comments (9)