SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aling_gw

fall vegetable advice for newbie

aling
15 years ago

Please forgive me, I am brand new to gardening and in need of some advice... I planted my first spring garden this year which was very rewarding and also very disappointing results. So I decided to ask all of you experts for some tips before I start my fall garden.

1. First off, my spring gardens were small 8'6" x 4'6" raised beds with the top 6-8 inches being Miracle Gro Vegetable/Flower mix on top of my tilled (clay) soil. I am wondering if I should use raised beds for fall or plant directly into the ground unraised(tilling in the miracle gro mixture.) Will this keep the plants/roots warmer during the colder months and protect from frost?
  2. When is a good time to start planting????? all of my research says to start now, but when I go to buy seeds and seedlings everyone tells me it is too early!! I did manage to obtain a few seed packets and according to the directions on the back for my zone I have from july-aug. Well it is AUG 2nd!!!

(I live in zone 5a... Southern Indiana, about 20 miles north of Louisville Ky.)

This is what I am planning to plant, advice and comments please!!!

from seed:

melting sugar peas

sugar snap peas

cauliflower

broccoli

lettuce - bibb

lettuce - romaine

green beans

cocozelle squash - says july is last date.. is it too late?

cucumber - says july is last date... is it too late?

plants bought from store: IS IT TOO EARLY???

broccoli

Cauliflower

brussel sprouts

Also one more thing... some of you tried to help me through my yellow squash/zuch disaster, thanks for your help, but I lost the battle... Well, I was telling a small local nursery owner of my disappointing loss and he gave me a small zucchini plant and told me to try again, that it may do well this late or may not, however I failed to ask him if I should plant it somewhere different in the garden, or in the same area. I know you are supposed to rotate every season, but what about mid season? And I am pretty sure that it was the SVB that killed my last ones, are they still a threat this time of year? Isn't there a way to protect it from being infested again?

Thanks for any suggestions and advice, and I am sorry if all of my questions are answered somewhere within the HUGE forum... I tried searching and reading, I know they are out there... SOMEWHERE!!!!

A.Ling

Comments (10)