SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tucsonmax

Tucson Newbie needs vegetable advice please

tucsonmax
13 years ago

I am VERY new at vegetables. I'm having fun and teaching my kids a lot, but basically getting very poor yield. I read several books, very specific to desert/Tucson vegetable gardens. I bought the right varieties of plants and seeds (for Tucson) and planted over a dozen varieties of:

Seeds: Carrots, Lettuce Leaf, Radish, Spinach, Beans, Cantaloupe, Summer Squash, Cucumber

Plants: Broccoli, Eggplant, Tomatoes

I planted during the correct months, bought new soil and use the right fertilizer. But still get very little to no yield.

Here's what else you need to know:

1) My garden has a western exposure, so afternoons are hot, with full sun!

2) We water generously, everything, twice per day.

3) All of my varieties are in 18" pots (about 24 inches deep.) (I've got about 20 pots total) There's no crowding, after germination (for example)we thin and continue thinning until there is 2 or 3 max beans, cantelopes, cucumber plants, etc per pot.

4) I lived in NJ (The Garden State) for 35 years and basically, anything we stuck in the dirt grew like weeds, so Tucson, is a challenge.

Now, I know you can't diagnose every variety from what I've written, but what I'd like to know is: any general thoughts you have like: "western full sun is your problem", or "water 3-4/days in Tucson" or "nothing grows in pots here" or something similar. We are having fun and my kids actually ate carrots and peas!! for the first time from our garden,... but we've got to be able to do better then we are. All advice is appreciated.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus