SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

Bayer Advanced Fruit and Vegetable Insect Control

denninmi
13 years ago

I just wanted to post some comments about this.

This product is .235% Merit as a soil drench. It is the same active ingredient, imadicloprid (probably spelled it wrong) as the Bayer Advanced Tree & Shrub, but a different strength and labeled for use on certain edible crops.

I have used Merit in the past on stone and pome fruits. It is good for SOME things, primarily sucking insects (aphids, scale, whitefly) and borers.

It does not kill or control apple maggot, coddling moth, or plum curculio all that effectively, and isn't labeled for them. I think it helps, but only in addition to protection from Imidan or similar.

I was reading some user comments about this, and a lot of "casual" type backyard growers were upset that it 1) didn't control diseases like peach leaf curl and 2) didn't control "worms in the fruit" -- neither of which it claims to do in he first place.

Just wanted to throw this out there for comments. As I said, I tried Merit 75WP a few years back, which is actually a far cheaper way to buy this product, and it does have its value in the home orchard, as part of a broader tool kit to control insects, but it's not a magic bullet.

Comments (3)