SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dnmartin98

Soil, gravel and a new veg garden

dnmartin98
15 years ago

Hi all,

I just joined this forum today as I have started a new vegetable garden project at our house...seems like a lot of good information and friendly people here!

I have a question for all of you soil heroes out there! I have just started digging our garden (29 feet by 10 feet) of a previously lawned area. Our house was built about 5 years ago. I wanted to dig the whole thing by hand, as I suspected that there would be large rocks dumped by the builders and didn't want to wreck a roto tiller! So I have been busy, and have removed some giant rocks, but have hit a snag. I have been digging down about 12 inches, but the soil seems to have a lot of gravel in it, presumably from the builders. In a few cases I hit what seems to be a bed of gravel about 14 inches down. Now I am only digging down about 12 inches to avoid that, but there is still quite a bit of gravel in the soil.

Is this going to adversly impact my vegetable garden? I have no idea how to get the gravel out of the soil, other than panning it, which someone else suggested, but at 29 feet by 10 feet at 12 inches deep that would take forever! I am digging it now, so that I can spend the time from now until next march adding stuff to the soil.

Should I be trying to get rid of the gravel?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

DavidM

Comments (8)