SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrshammel_gw

pre-bagged soil mix comparable to Mel's Mix for patio veg garden?

mrshammel
11 years ago

Hey everyone. I am long-time lurker but not finding the answer I most recently have so I thought I should post.

I have been doing SFG now for 4 years. One year ago I moved into to condo out of necessity and have been forced to continue my gardening by using containers. Last summer was a loooong story but the short of it is I learned that the community garden plot that I planted stuff in in the spring did not get enough sunlight, so I transitioned everything into pots in haste too late in the season. I did grow some stuff but not even close to what I had hoped for.

Now with Spring coming I am already planning my garden for my patio. I have large pots and am repurposing old Rubbermaid bins. I am narrowing down the number of things I am growing so I have a lot of those few things... and I am really trying to get my soil right.

I want to do Mel's mix but the problem I have is lack of space to break up 3 cubic feet of peat moss, and the equivalent of mushroom compost and vermiculite and mix it all up! I have 85 gallons of volume just in my bins, not to mention the pots. I hate to spend the extra money but I am really looking for a pre-bagged soil mix that is going to meet my needs as a container vegetable gardener, comparable in composition to Mel's mix if possible, unless something else is out there that I can use that would do the trick...

I am seeking your recommendations for pre-bagged soil mixes that will work for container vegetable gardening. I plan to grow lots of tomatoes, peppers, pickling cucumbers and hopefully to try blueberries and maybe even watermelon....

Your thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated!

Comments (17)