SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pbcohen

help for a ficus tree

pbcohen
17 years ago

I've had a ficus tree for about ten years now. I don't have a green thumb, I live in a dark apartment, and I've made some poor pruning choices over the years - and just stopped trying to trim for awhile, so I thought I'd try to get some advice from knowledgeable people.

I'm getting a new bird so have had to rearrange my living room. I trimmed off the dead branches (I suppose it's bad to leave it untrimmed for so long?) and moved it a bit. The tree generally loses a few leaves every other day or so (they get yellow first), and it lost quite a few (even green ones) during this operation. But it's been about a week since then, and it hasn't lost as many leaves. It's even looking pretty good. Green, anyway!

But, it's current shape is sort of a straggly T. The picture (below) is after the trim but before rearranging. In among all the clutter, you'll see the general T shape, plus two lights I've gotten to try to give it more light. I get "grow" lights, and that swing arm lamp has a new OTT bulb.

After rearranging, the tree's T shape is facing the window (if that makes sense). The swing-arm light is gone - haven't figured out where to put it. And the bird's cage is pretty darned big - it replaces both bookcases, goes from the space where the big one was to the middle of the paper bag on top of the small one. I need to do something so the bird can't chew on the tree. Because of the window, this is really the best place for the tree - and because of the small apartment, this is really the best place for the bird cage.

So, here are my questions:

1) I live in southeast Michigan, can I do some serious pruning now?

2) If I prune, how do I do it? I've read some topics on this forum (including this one http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/houseplt/msg0520510325549.html ) but would appreciate specific advice. How do I tackle the straggly T? How much overall could I cut? Many smaller branches have one or two leaves waaaay at the end. That sort of thing. I can take more pictures, if anyone wants to get really detailed.

3) Is the low light in the apartment the cause of those yellow dropping leaves? Any suggestions? (I'm kinda hoping that having the T shape in front of the window will help.) Do the grow lights help at all?

4) I stopped giving plant food over the winter, is this a good idea? Should I start up again now? Or when?

5) I've been watering every few days in the winter, during the summer I usually give a little water every day. Is there a better strategy?

Any other ideas? Thanks for your help - and for reading through this long post! I'd really like to get this tree healthier.

Pamela

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:84616}}

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living