SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjones1360

Blueberry Bushes - Roots pushing thru soil or new growth???

sjones1360
13 years ago

Hi - new to the forums but have lurked here for a while.

I live in San Diego and back in Nov I planted 4 3-year old Sunshine Blue Blueberry bushes in containers. The plants came from Arkansas where they had already seen their first frost so came with no leaves. After planting the leaves came back fairly quickly.

I have had some other issues with them but I think I've got it under control now (getting right pH in soil, plus I was using soil acidifier but dummy me didn't realize I needed a fertilizer too - I thought the soild sulfur WAS the fertilizer).

Anyway, because I was giving them some corrective attention this weekend, I noticed something I hadn't noticed earlier. Two of the 4 bushes have red colored growth coming up from the soil, but this growth isn't growing upwards, instead it is growing almost straight out from the base, almost horizontal at the base of the stem, with maybe just a very very slight upwards angle.

What are these red shoots? Are these roots and maybe I didn't plant them well or the soil in the pot has settled and I need to add some soil to the top, or are these new stems growing and they will begin to grow upwards if I leave them alone?

Sorry, probably a pretty basic question, but I've searched all over trying to figure out what these are.

Comments (15)