SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jazzbone

What are the signs of bad portland?

jazzbone
18 years ago

I have had such inconsistancy with my hypertufa projects setting up that I am wondering if my cement is too old. Some projects seem to get a firm set in 24 hours such that I can unmold them yet others (admittedly, larger projects) do not seem to set up for a week. When I try to take the large piece from the mold it breaks apart and is still damp inside.

My last failure was with two 16" solid spheres. I was so proud of my POP molds. I set them in a bed of sand for support and coated them with Murphy's Oil Soap. I used 1:1:1:1 cement, sand, pearlite, peat and a bottle of Quickrete buff color. After filling the molds I had enough mix left to make a small trough.

I let the items set for a couple of days. When I began unmolding the trough (tearing the cardboard box away) I got a little rough and pulled on one side of the trough. It broke. I was disappointed but chalked it up to my impatience. One of the spheres did the same. It held together fairly well except for some that stuck to the mold. But I moved it around too much and it cracked in two.

So, I let the other ball set for a week along with the pieces of the first ball. I did not try to protect the pieces; they were out in the sun drying. When I unmolded the final sphere it held together okay but some pulled away with the mold. It was damp inside.

The pieces which dried in the sun felt very firm but one tap with a hammer and they crumbled to dust.

All this long-winded description is to set up this question: What did I do wrong? Could my cement be old? Am I just too impatient?... too rough? Losing a few grots or small troughs is one thing but the larger pieces have quite a bit of work and materials in them.

Disappointed in Dixie,

David

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County