SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
floralbeauty_gw

Moss Has been Wet for 3+ Weeks. Bad sign?

floralbeauty
11 years ago

This is my first flower.

I have had a Phalaenopsis orchid for almost weeks now since October 24. (I ordered it from ProFlowers online.) One bud fell off when I opened the package.

Within the first week, I had to depot it because it was shipped with plastic wrapped around the roots inside a clear container without any holes. :/ I kept in the same moss that came with it and tried not to disturb it as much so it won't go in shock.

So far, I have lost one bud, and I flower. All my buds have opened. I still have flowers and mostly green leaves, so I hope my orchid is okay.

For the first 3 weeks, the moss would get dry after about 1 week and I would water it and let it drain out. (My pot has three holes in it). So, I was averaging watering about once a week.

Week 1: Water + fertilizer (better gro) + bloom booster (better gro)
week 2: water + fertilizer
week 3: water + fertilizer

I was going to just water it without fertilizer for week 4 to clean out the excess salts.

But, now, I haven't watered my orchid for almost 4 weeks now. (This Wednesday will be week 7). The top portion of the moss is getting dry, but it is still wet on the inside. So I don't want to risk watering it.

What could have happened in the past 3 week to cause a change in my watering schedule?

Is my orchid okay? Or do you think it might have root rot now despite the drainage holes? Should I just go ahead and water the orchid despite feeling slight wetness when I dip my finger inside the moss?

SN: I let it sit on top of a humidity tray with rocks for humidity. I live in the Mid-Atlantic US. And my orchid is on a southeastern facing window if this helps.
Also, I noticed my leaves are browning. They were browning weeks ago though. And they also have scratch marks on them it appears. And part of the leaf is tearing apart (though it came like this, the tear seems to be getting bigger. Some of the edges of the leaves are brown and look chewed off. What does this mean?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus