SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zoes_gw

My gardening plans for 2013

zoes
11 years ago

I live in Ontario, Canada. My husband and I moved into a house in March of this year and I found an old, overgrown, neglected vegetable garden bed in the back of the lawn so I dove right in and I messed it up something fierce.

I planted too many rows, I didn't thin out the seedlings, I didn't weed properly, I didn't plant everything at the right time, I didn't trellis the cukes, and I didn't consider how much shade there was in that area. As a result, I was able to harvest potatoes, carrots, and not too much else. All the root veg were too close and didn't grow, the weeds outgrew my leafy stuff despite my best efforts, the tomatoes blew over in the wind, and my hens broke off all the unripe strawberries.

So, next year, I want to do it right. I want to extend the garden another 10 feet into the yard where it will get more sun (currently it is about 10 x 10, so it would be 20 x 10), do raised beds, put down lots of mulch stuff so weeds are less of an issue, and plan for more space between rows and seedlings.

I guess I am just looking for approval on my plans:

So, 10 x 20 garden, raised 7"

I am going to lay down a thick of layer of mulch from paper / cardboard products in my house to stop weeds.

I am going to trellis the cukes and put wire cone things around the tomatoes.

Should I start tearing up the lawn for the addition this fall, or wait till the Spring?

And what else I can do other than turn over the soil and add extra soil on top to prevent weeds? I will probably use some round up around the edges to prevent the weeds from walking in, but what about the rest? I have some tenacious weeds. Don't know that they are called, but they spread via long, deep roots and even if you pull out a plant with its roots, another sprouts up from the root system. And when they are small, they are impossible to pull out with the weeds.

Am I on the right track? I hope so... would be nice to eat something other than carrots next year!

Comments (6)