SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maidinmontana

I couln't believe my eyes...

maidinmontana
15 years ago

Hi,

I decided to repot my way overdue Thanksgiving cactus yesterday. I figured it would be a good time to do it since I had watered it the day before.

When I lifted the plant (rootball in tact) all the soil came out w/the plant, holding the shape of the pot. This soil was so incredibly dry! It was like clay around the plant. I soaked it in a sink of water to try to remove some of the soil. It sat in the sink for over an hour. When I lifted it out only the very outside was slightly wet, the water didn't penetrate into the middle of the soil. I had to take the sprayer hose and hold it into the mid section to get it wet. The soil repelled the water like oil. This poor plant wasn't getting hardly any water all this time. I would water it until the water ran out of the holes in the pot, thinking it was good and wet, NOT! I'm surprised it's still alive and so happy I decided to repot it when I did. This was Miracle Grow soil, not some knock off brand. After seeing what kind of condition this plant was in I decided to check a few of my other plants too, same thing. Dry as dust around the rootball.

Needless to say, I bought new soil, no peat, and added perlite and vermiculite as well as orchid bark to make it looser.

Knowing what I know now, no wonder my scheff was dying a slow death.

Moral of the story, check inside of the pot more often. Just thought I would share.

Comments (2)