SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

What should I do with my Clivias?

meyermike_1micha
16 years ago

I have about 25 Clivias growing in my cellar under lights and they all look so nice! Some even in flowering stage. Especially the variegated version. But here is my dilema?

If it is true that they don't like their roots being disturbed, then what should I do?

When I first got them, before I even heard of this site or Al's wonderful soiless well draining mix, I potted them all up in peatmoss and regular potting soil in clay containers. Some in 6 inch, and some bigger sizes... I would like to transplant everyone of these into this soil for the summer, for fear eventually, the soil they are already in is starting to look like it is getting tired and could break down causing root rot problems. Clivia plants like to be on the drier side of things in pots.

All I see on instuctions ,on how to grow clivia, is to put them in a well draining, rich humesy mix, even leaf mold? What the heck this is I have no clue.. I think Als' fits the descripton unless someone has a comment otherwise. I am pretty sure that anything will grow well in Als soil consisting of turface, granite, bark, and some charcoal.

Should I leave them alone, or transplant now that it is spring even though the plants seem to be healthy anyways?

Thankyou!!

Comments (3)