SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bejay9_10

Fruit trees in low chill areas

bejay9_10
16 years ago

On reading the past postings in this forum, it became quite apparent that this last year was "different" weather-wise.

For a lot of my friends living a little bit inland, the cold weather was felt in less favorable terms than along the coastal areas. By that I mean, my trees weren't subjected to the extreme cold as elsewhere, but there was enough in my back yard to stimulate a lot of them into the best crop that I've had in many years.

So for what it's worth, the 2 apricots (Blenheim-Royals) are loaded (one was newly planted - and put on a growth spurt that I have rarely seen). Given any unforeseen weather problems, I should have a good harvest there.

Also my 2 almond trees - one was a dwarf All-in-One, the other a standard Hale (I believe)both trees are loaded with fruit this year.

A newly planted plum - Santa Rosa has a few fruit and seems to be progressing well. Another plum - Satsuma (35 or so years old) fell over from infestation of termites or carpenter ants, and refuses to die - also has fruit!

But - am a bit confused about the two apple trees - Dorsett Golden still has about 5 apples and have harvested several already - (only 2nd year), but was early to flower and fruit, whereas, the other apple, Anna, is just now beginning to fruit - it was extremely slow to come out of dormancy.

Bonanza peach was so loaded with fruit, that I had to cull most of them - extremely eager to flower and fruit - but only 2nd year. It also weathered very well, inspite of being low-chill.

We won't discuss 2 avocado trees - one a Zatano, the other Haas - but my past efforts weren't appreciated, they are alive, and perhaps they are doing better, now that they are being fed, watered and mulched more to their liking.

Even the persimmon tree seemed to enjoy the past winter chilling hours that it got.

One last tree - Bartlett pear - still dormant - or maybe dead - not enough chilling hours, even tho we had more this year.

This is a bit long, but my reason for writing was to give some words of wisdom concerning our recent "more chill hours" winter and the relation to our low-chill climate conditions.

Just my 2 c's.

Bejay

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting