SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joel_bc

Repotting to 'faster' soil

joel_bc
16 years ago

This is sort of directed to Al, but not exclusively.

Through experience, I've come to realize that air space and drainage are extremely important in indoor-plant growing media - so long as one is relying also on a good, well-rounded fertilizer supplying the macro, minor, and trace nutrients. I'm using a much lighter mixture than I was, say, three years ago.

I'm thinking of going to a coarser-grit sort of medium, as what I'm now using is finely ground bark, coir, and perlite in about equal proportions. What I like about it is that we can leave our house for two or three weeks at a stretch and have a friend or neighbor look after our plants, and if they are forgetful or not willing to water every other day, the plant still comes out okay.

But I like lush, healthy plants. So I understand Al's approach with faster "soils", more frequent watering, etc. It probably yields the optimum in lush plant vigor. I might like to go SOMEWHAT less organic and somewhat coarser. But with a basically healthy flourishing plant that has a root ball consisting of the material I've mentioned, I'm a bit fearful of trying to get most of the old, more organic medium out of the root mass in order to replace it with the coarser stuff. Just the potential for mechanical damage to the roots, and a devastated plant, no matter how careful I might want to be.

One more question. Given how far north I am, and that in winter the sun angle is quite low and that there is often cloud, I have three Christmas cactuses among my plant collection that are pretty well suited. CC's are often said to want a good watering and then a week of drainage/evaporation before the next watering. In the soil mixture I'm using, this procedure works out okay. But I wonder how a Christmas cactus might do in faster soil. ??

Joel

Comments (17)