SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
september_jenkins

How do you quickly dry an over-watered plant?

September_Jenkins
11 years ago

As I have so sorely learned through the years, my most common and effective method of "planticide" is over-watering... Yet I have managed it again, this time while repotting an already sad mini-violet.

Here are the specifics:

-She already looked about on death's door with 2 healthy but TINY new leaves and a few pale, droopy larger leaves (which I trimmed back from 4 to 2).

-She went from a larger pot to a smaller one (bottom-watering didn't seem to be reaching the upper soil/main roots anymore and top-watering didn't help). *See pic--Sharpie for size reference

-I drenched the fresh violet potting soil with very dilute violet fertilizer.

-I poked around in the soil with a toothpick trying to aerate it and I pressed a paper towel on the surface soil around the plant to absorb what it can.

-It's sitting under fluorescent lighting and the room temp is about 67*.

Questions:

1. Did I do the "right" things with a) the toothpick aeration attempt and b) paper towel absorption (which I plan to periodically try again for the next few hours)?

2. What else can I do?

I really, really want to save this mini... I've had her awhile, very healthy before inexplicably slumping these past few months. I've grown attached. Please help! :/

Comments (8)