SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
persianmd2orchard

East Coast Mulberries Taste Test Results

persianmd2orchard
11 years ago

Hi everyone, yesterday I got the chance to test out some mulberries in Virginia and I thought I'd share the flavor results. I waited until there was a few days of sun and no misty/cloudiness around to get a fair tasting. I'm partial to having a bit of a tart kick FYI.

Gerardi Dwarf- Nothing to write home about. Just OK if that.

Collier- Pretty good. Shape of a standard mulberry ~1 inch long, half inch thick. Flavor definitely had some tart in it, not too juicy. Can get a few different tastes on the tart->sweet spectrum depending on ripeness. I've heard these fall in the Illinois Everbearing school of taste, but not quite as good in the area. I would not fault anyone for liking this mulberry-it's good.

Pakistan- Very deep, rich sweet taste. However, virtually acidless. I tried eating the ones that were underripe, still no acid/tart, just less sweet. But it wasn't a straight through sugar water sweetness, it was a rich sweetness that was especially good on the ones that hard dropped and were sunbathing for a day--those were amazing.

Shangri-La- Fat, plump, these berries look great. The ones that were ripe all the way through with some softness I thought were bland/boring lightly sugared water. I tried many ripe ones and still felt this way although it may just be the season or the day as I have heard otherwise about these that when ripe can be sweet in a good way.

However, then I started eating the firm black ones- that didn't have much give when you press them... and THOSE were amazing. Awesome sweet-tart balance. A+. But short 2 week season, you better pick these at the right time you like them.

Beautiful Day- Small fruit, not that great. Yes sweet, but nothing really that great. There must be better/sweeter varieties out there. It was not completely ripe yet, but my gut said the fruit can't become that impressive. Surely OK as I see not many other options out there, probably very nice if you let them turn golden ripe/sundry a bit.

Weeping Mulberry- Technically edible, but that's about it.

Conclusions:

For sweet tooths:

Pakistan if you like sweet and can do OK with only having fruit every other year or so in this area (it's finicky about our winters).

For acid lovers:

Shangri-La when ripe but firm

Illinois Everbearing probably over Collier.

==============================================

I am still very interested in tasting or hearing flavor descriptions of Oscar, Kokuso, and Greece (white, based on Bass's posts) in greater Washington area.

Comments (9)