SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asturnut

preparing to plant my first fruit trees

asturnut
13 years ago

Hi all! Just some background before I posit my question:

I've been gardening for a long time, worked in garden centers, etc, so I know a fair amount about plants and gardening, although I'm certainly not an expert. I garden organically, which from what I understand is quite dificult when it comes to fruiting trees.

Herein lies my problem. After much deliberation, I purchased 4 different varieties of sweet cherries. The location I am planting them is less than ideal. It's only part sun and there's only an inch or so of topsoil and the subsoil is clay. I know these are all MAJOR strikes against my success with cherry trees, but the location is non-negotiable due to circumstances outside my control. Therefore, I want to give the trees as much of a headstart as possible.

Specifically, I would like suggestions on what I should use to ammend the soil prior to planting. How much of the area should I ammend? How deep should I ammend? Should I mulch? What organic fertilizers do you recommend? Should I stake? The trees look to be about 3-4 years old... in pots they stand about 7-8 feet tall.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider