SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cousinfloyd

how many different varieties and why?

cousinfloyd
12 years ago

I've just started grafting (and buying) kaki persimmons, and I'm wondering if there are any reasons to keep expanding or if one astringent variety and one non-astringent variety is really enough. I can see planting lots of different varieties in order to see which does best for me, but once I figure that out am I going to want anything else? Is there really any difference in eating quality between different kaki persimmons? What about with fruit trees in general? Why do those of you that have 20 different apples or 10 different peaches, etc. have so many different cultivars? I can see wanting early and late varieties, good keeping varieties, etc. I can see maybe wanting to have a more reliable variety alongside a less reliable but outstanding tasting variety. I can see that some varieties might be better for fresh eating versus various forms of processing. Obviously cross-pollination is a reason for diversity. How many of you go for lots of diversity and how many of you just plant lots of your favorites? I'm curious about general thoughts and about persimmons and pawpaws, in particular.

Comments (13)