SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homegardenpa

How many varieties have you grown?

homegardenpa
14 years ago

It's getting to be that time of year again for me: garden planning, seed starting, etc. While I was planning which varieties of tomatoes I wanted to grow - my father, who's grown tomatoes for most of his life (and just turned 74 this January), was asking why I grow so many different kinds.

He has his two or three kinds that he grows and he doesn't feel the need to bother with any other new or strange varieties - I wish I had that problem, hehe. I'm on the search for the perfect tomato(es) which will grow well / taste great given my location, weather, soil, cultivation, etc. I have 3 "garden regulars" that I plant every year, but then I try anywhere from 5-10 new kinds - depending on space.

I still consider myself fairly new to growing a big garden, but at the end of this season I will have tried out about 35 different varieties. Based on some of the people who I've seen post here, I'm betting there's a good few in the hundred or more category.

I'm thinking eventually I'll probably narrow down to about 8 varieties total and just grow more plants of the same kind every year, but at the rate I'm going that may take a while.

How many varieites have you tried in your searching? And do you plan to stop at some point or keep searching as long as there's a new plant to be grown?

-Mike

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH