SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonniet_gw

strange cucumber disease

bonniet
15 years ago

Hi. I have four cucumber plants, I forget which variety, but it's a vining one, highly disease resistant.

For the past week or so, the leaves have been getting some strange spots on them. They are light brown, and irregular in shape, in-between some of the veining, though the veining is in the spots, too. However, it matches the spots.

The spots started on the lower leaves, and have gradually moved up. I thought at first it was insects, but honestly, I haven't seen an insect on them, except bees, since I planted them in late April. Not even a cucumber beetle or squash beetle. The plants are fine, otherwise, producing lots of cukes, with only one or two distorted ones, from the heat we had lately.

There is no colored ring around the spots, nor do the centers fall out. The leaves eventually turn pale and fall off.

This is only the second disease I have ever seen on cucumber plants. The only other disease I have seen is the dreaded bacterial wilt. I know only too well what that looks like. And I haven't seen that yet.

It hasn't really rained in 2 weeks, and it's been pretty warm, but I have watered with a soaker hose, when necessary. The garden is a raised bed with topsoil in it we had brought in. I fertilized with an organic fertilizer, earlier in the season,which also has trace elements in it. But it doesn't look like a deficiency disease.

I thought it might be angular leaf spot, but from what I have read, that causes dark, water-soaked spots that eventually lighten to brown or gray and the center usually falls out. And there is usually a yellowish line around the lesions. My cuke leaves don't have that.

Anyway, I would appreciate any help that anyone can give me. I wish I could post a picture, but I don't know how to do that.

Comments (3)