SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningwithlcgrace

Dry grass mulch & very dry underneath - suggestions??

Lcgrace Mahoney
15 years ago

I read the post on watering basics and it was very informative....I didn't want to take over the post though.

I've mulched with grass clippings which are very dry right now. I've been watering but I'm sure that I'm not watering deep enough. I put 2 soaker hoses meandering thru my garden. It's planted in a sq ft style and the plants are too large for the hoses to be moved. I realized that the 2 hoses are 2 different diameters. The smaller diameter is thru the tomatoes, squash, beans & broccoli....and they aren't getting nearly enough water. The larger diameter hose goes from the main garden to the cuc patch...and the water just nourishes the weeds in between the 2 gardens.

Even though I watered the garden, I picked up the grass mulch and the soil underneath is as dry as a bone. Should I pick up the clippings and water without them? (Oh, that's gonna be lotsa work!) The lawn needs to be mowed again & I can put fresh clippings down on the soil or over top of the dry ones.

Oh geeze, I'm rambling.... anyway, the forecast says it'll be at least a week before rain. We'll be coming out of a few days of mid 90 temps and the garden's looking a bit wilty.

We're going away for just a few days....Monday-Wed. What should I do when I get back? Pull out the mulch? Water with a sprinkler? Spend the day outside with the hose? Try to lay the other 1/2 of the soaker in the garden?

With the exception of a few squash & pumpkin plants that are wilted flat, the rest of the garden seems to be managing very well.

Thanks for any advice or tips you may have!! LC Grace

Comment

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting