SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwnewbie

small dracaena marginatas dying?

gwnewbie
16 years ago

Two or three months ago, I bought two 1.6 litre pots with 3 dracaena marginatas each in them from Home Depot. In each pot, one of the plants is about 4 ft tall, the 2nd is about 2 ft tall and the smallest is about 6 inches tall at the top of the highest branch.

In both pots, the 2 larger plants seem to be doing all right, but the smallest looks like it's dying. (The larger plants seem to lose a lot of the bottom leaves, but I'm guessing that's normal?) Though the leaves of the smallest plants are (mostly) very green, they're falling over and off. A couple of the branches seem to have bent over at the very top too.

I live in the Washington DC area and think I have pretty hard water. I was worried I might be underwatering the plants, since sometimes I went weeks (or maybe more) without watering. When I water, I soak the soil enough that water drains out the bottom and then I remove the extra water that drained out. Then, I've generally waited till the soil dried out quite a bit before watering again.

The plants get indirect sunlight, and I generally try to keep the humidity around 38-50 percent (when I'm home). I think the temperature in my apartment generally stays above 65 degrees, even when I'm not home.

I saw in this forum pics of a very small dracaena branch that seemed in a similar situation (leaves falling over) that someone else posted, and people seemed to think he or she might be overwatering. My larger plants have thicker canopies of leaves than his or her larger plants, but his plants are taller. I don't know how to post pics here to show mine.

Any way I can rescue these plants? If I were underwatering, would the leaves have turned yellow / brown before falling over / off? If I've overwatered, is there a way for me to dry out the soil?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths