SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

Which varieties of Pomegranates would you suggest?

highlandernorth
12 years ago

I mentioned recently that I have a 6-7 year old pomegranate bush in a large pot that I grew from a seed out of a fantastic fruit I had eaten. It was one of the best poms I'd ever had, and they are a bit of a crapshoot when bought at the grocery store.

So I pruned it back to about 16" this year in March.

But it either will never fruit or it will take 50 years, so I want to buy at least 1-2 good potted poms soon.

So I was looking around and noticed that there are many varieties available. The important traits to me are: Early initial fruit production, as I dont want to wait another 7 years! Also, shorter, bushier habit would be nice. The fruit dont have to be huge or anything, I just want good flavor, sweet and slightly tart. Toughness would be important too. A good looking plant would be nice too.

I will be growing it in a pot for at least several years so I can move it inside in winter and back outside in spring/summer/fall.

How big should I order them? 1 gallon, 2 gallons, 3-5 gallons? Is there an advantage to getting older plants aside from sooner fruiting? Who seems to have the best plants?

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus