SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brianlanning

fire blight?

brianlanning
14 years ago

It's looking like I have fire blight on two of my pear trees and a couple apple trees. What I'm seeing looks like two different things:

On two of the apple trees, it looks like some of the flower petals are brown, compared to white on other petals even on the same flower.

On the pear trees, it's primarily an occasional blackened shriveled leaf next to 3 or 4 healthy ones. The leaves have just started opening over the last week or so. Although there's a few browned petals on these flowers as well.

So I believe the best thing to do is to cut off whatever's affected. There's not much so far, so it should be easy to prune. From what i've read, it looks like I need a bleach solution for the shears and to cut off the affected area from a few inches back away from the damaged leaf.

Is there anything else I should do? How far back from an affected flower or leaf should I prune? Is 6" enough?

They're fairly young trees in the 2 to 4 year age range. The pear trees didn't have fire blight at all last year. And the apple trees in question are new to my yard, planted from 7 gallon buckets while dormant.

brian

Comments (11)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio