SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tas123_gw

Old manure - can it keep seeds from germinating?

tas123
16 years ago

We moved to a new home last fall and I was delighted to see a large pile of very well aged horse manure (3+ years) in the corner of one pasture. I spent many hours pulling all of the weeds off of it and moving just the underlying manure over to the garden area (about a 3" layer overall)and turned it in and let it sit over the winter.

I got off to a late start this year, planting most of my transplants and seeds the last few days of May and first week of June. Anything I transplanted (tomato, peppers, cukes, zucchini, acorn squash) seems to be doing ok - not as thriving as I had hoped but it has been very dry here and I don't have a reqular watering system set up yet. My concern is that nearly EVERYTHING I planted from seed seems to have had problems. Absolutely no beets, parsnip, spinach or carrots have sprouted. Only about 1/5th of the pole beans sprouted. Only 4 plants of swiss chard have appeared, even though I planted the entire packet. Maybe 1/3rd of the peas sprouted. Even with the heat I was pretty diligent about keeping the seeds watered daily for at least the first week, but no luck.

I'm starting to think that maybe something in the manure is preventing germination. However, I have quite the abundant crop of weeds coming up anywhere that I haven't mulched. They come up repeatedly, even after I've pulled most of them. I've identified the weeds as mostly Lamb's quarter, ragweed, and purslane, with possibly some crabgrass, quackgrass, and fleabane. At least some of these I'm sure sprout from seed, which makes me question my anti-germination theory. Does anyone know if there is something that will prevent vegetable seeds from germinating but not affect weed seeds?

Comments (3)