SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
californian_gw

What fruit trees will grow well in pure clay soil?

californian
17 years ago

Particularly in a climate like Orange County, California?

I live on a hillside and the top foot and a half of soil in almost pure gray clay. Underneath that is an orange/yellow thicker layer of caliche streaked with many white colored veins of what I guess is some kind of alkali, salt, calcium deposits. Terrible stuff that gets so hard when dry that I have to use a jackhammer I bought to dig planting holes if the soil is dry. When wet it turns to a sticky mess that sticks to your shoes and the shovel. Also, since I am on a hillside it is difficult to water as most of the water runs off unless I build dirt dikes around the plants to keep the water from running off.

Eucalyptus and chinese elms seem to be about the only kind of trees that thrive under these conditions.

I have planted maybe fifteen different types of fruit trees at various times but they all grow so slow, probably because of the soil. One fig tree has only increased in height by three inches in three years. It took my Meiwa Kumquat fifteen years to get five feet high. My asian pears have only grown about a foot in three years, except for my Hosui that has got up to about seven feet.

Also, are there some varities of fruit trees that do better than others of the same species, or are their some rootstocks that do better in clay, and if so where can a retail buyer get them? Thanks.

Comments (23)