SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Can a houseplant go through shock from this?

meyermike_1micha
15 years ago

Many times we read here of how a plant can go through shock from transplanting.

I tried to transplant a christmas cactus while in bloom, I never moved a root. I carefully lifted it and rested it gently in a new pot and all the buds fell off anyways. It knew!!

All I did was move one from a different window to another, and buds fell off then too!

I think some of the symptoms of shock are dying leaves,dropping buds, yellowing leaves, weakness of a plant and so on. Probably many other signs of shock I can't think of right now.

But, I seem to get a bad reaction from my plants when I just move them from one window to another, or one room to another, or one location from another. I think they even know when you have moved them just a couple of feet from their original spot.

What do you think? Do plants react badly when constantly moved from their location, instead of staying put?

If so, does that mean I should stop lugging them to the shower and just leave them in their spots till spring?

I think I remember being told this from an old lady when I was young who was an excellent green thumb.

All I did was move one of plams from my home last week to work, and within days of that, today, the leaves look horrible. The older leaves are turning yellow, and one died.

I think plants are smarter than we think.

What do you think...?

Thanks

Mike

Comments (58)

• mr_subjunctive
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't think you necessarily have to mimic the exact same environment. You just don't want to give the plant a worse environment. Some plants will let you know very obviously if things have gotten worse for them (Ficus benjamina, Polyscias fruticosa); other plants won't.

I shower all of my plants, every single time I water, and if anything I think it reduces the spread of pests. (The detachable showerhead changed my life!) Plus it keeps them dusted. I've never seen any new mineral deposits, though I have seen some slowly disappear over time (this is probably something that depends a lot on your water supply, I'm thinking?). Can't really speak as to the potassium depletion (I'd assume the plant would decline if it were a problem, though, right?) or closing stomata. FWIW. I don't think that moving a plant for just the amount of time it takes to give it a shower and put it back could be doing anything to traumatize it one way or the other. Moving it from a bright spot to a dark spot to a cold spot to a hot spot all in the space of a week maybe could, but even then, I'd think it'd have bigger changes to cope with in the wild. It all depends on how bright, how dark, how cold, how hot, etc.

• Mentha
    15 years ago

I shower my plants. Like Mr Sub says it keps them clean and helps prevent bugs. It's also less mess, as my kitchen sink always has dishes in it. In the spring I take them in the shower with me so the shampoo drips on the plant then rinses off. This is the concept of grey water, only it doesn't travel through pipes before reaching the plant. My plants like a warm shower better than cold watering cans any day. It's after their shower that I continue with my feeding schedule, but I do grow mostly epiphytic cacti and hoyas so a shower doesn't harm them in the least. I at the moment have over 150 plants, but that is really a small amount for me. Only the larger plants get a shower, the others get the hose.

Never repot a plant in bloom, unless the plant is in dramatic stress, or it's a continual bloomer. BTW, CC should not be repotted until spring when they are starting to put on new growth and only to one size bigger pot. It really doesn't have to do with their blooming, but they don't like cold wet feet. Winter is not the best time to repot, unless you stayed in the same pot size and used a different, less peaty, better draining soil. My guess is you repotted into a comercial potting mix, and not one designed for epiphytes. CC like a lot of water, but do not like wet feet, so you MUST give them a soil which drains within minutes. I'm curious to know why you repotted a blooming CC also.

• Related Discussions

Hey, where will all your houseplants be going in the Fall?

Q

Comments (28)
    Hey Mike..you always pick interesting topics. :) Jeff, love your LR. It's sooo big. Large windows, too. I thought you lived in an area where plants could be wintered outdoors??? Mary, nice room. Your Begonias are doing fantastic. Wish mine looked as nice. Started cleaning the front 'plant room' at 10am yesterday morning. Washed windows, in and out, walls, and a large shelf most of my succulents will be placed. A few other shelves, too. Watered every plant in that room that weren't outdoors this summer, and scrubbed floors..but will have to redo. Finshed at 7pm. Today, I plan on finishing the other half, then the back plant room. Since the majority of plants go in both rooms, they'll be ready when plants come inside. The LR will also be cleaned, after dh and ds remove the a/c from the window....yes, Mike, we finally got an a/c. lol. Smaller succulents go in the LR windows which face south. Afterwards, the bedroom needs cleaning..wash windows, relocate tables, and two shelves most Hoyas will go on. The upstairs bathroom window will also be cleaned..hanging Hoyas are placed on the curtain rod, lol. I also have a small green house which needs cleaning and additional stones on the ground...it's emply right now, so cleaning will be a breeze. Unless a spider moved in..then it's war!!! Large trees and Agaves go in the gh. Trees that no longer fit in the house. I can't believe we're discussing hauling plants in so soon. What's going on? In past years, my plants were outside as late as Oct/early Nov. But with nights dipping in the 40's, 'which is too early for Sept,' I guess bringing plants in before days and nights stay in the 20's is mandatory. The WC's predicted today, Tues the 25th, would be the last semi-warm, 78F day. I prayed we'd get a few more wks of, well, a little warmth. This morning, while watching the news, they said this week will be in the high 70's, 50's at night. Think my prayer was answered. Thank You. I'm now wondering if bringing plants in is too early. Does anyone leave certain plants outside until frosts, and if so, which plants? I normally leave Thanksgiving Cactus out until buds appear, and some Kalanchoes. What about Jades? Since cooler temps promote red coloring, what's the lowest temps Jades will survive w/o freezing? Charlie, wait until you adopt over 100 plants..lol. Here are pics of last winter's plant rooms. front plant room, south and west windows front plant room, north and west windows Kitchen window, facing north Bedroom Can't find last years pics bathroom pics or second kitchen window. lol. But, I'm sure you get the picture. Toni
    ...See More

if I get a photo up, its going to be a shock

Q

Comments (12)
    Thank you Julia. You said the magic word for me when you said hit open after I chose all I wanted to upload,I thought that's not going to work either as I already had it open, so hitting open again wont do a thing. Boy was I wrong, Thank you ever so much, now my problem is getting them posted before photobucket stops responding and just locks up.but, thanks to you and to kay also,I can get them on lhe forum now. NAT: thanks for looking and commenting. THANK YOU KAY. ELLIE: Thank you for commenting. I like a post with lots of photos on it too, can look at them better without all the hopping back and forh to get the next post. MARG, Than you. CELESTE, I gope tour wonder of it all blooms good for you too, this year.That photo of so many blooms, I had 2 in that bunch that didn't open good that early in the morning, 7am. when I went out later in the day, all was open good.It is one fantastic daylily Linda and Sarah. Thank you for commenting. Nancy, maybe you will start getting blooms too, now, seems the heat is being turned on. Jean
    ...See More

Paying more for cabinets by going through a KD??

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi dragonfly08 - in your first thread someone suggested Mid Continent cabinets to you. Did you find a local place that carries MC? I'm considering MC also in a white painted finish. One selling point of MC is that paints, glazes, soft close full ext. drawers are all included - no upcharge. And a paint upcharge in other lines was quoted to me as $1500 +/- so it was a big savings from MC. I remember planning this kitchen around work and young kids was a time challenge, but if you can get an appt at a MC showroom with a designer there and block a few hours DO IT. Bring your dimensions and just see what they come up with and have them quote it. My MC quote was less than non-sale quotes from the box stores and from other private stores by me and I feel the quality is better than most box store lines. You might be happily surprised. If you have questions about MC you can email me if you want. Here is a link that might be useful: Mid Continent Site - Dealer Locator Too
    ...See More

Mail can be delayed but the PIZZA must go through!

Q

Comments (11)
    I just saw an article where a skating rink in Japan froze all kinds of sea life (5000 fish and crabs) into the ice to make it look like it was or port or something weird like that. If that's how they treat their sea life, I'd be afraid to know what method they are using to train the Reindeer...shock collars? No thank you, I'd rather skip the pizza. CNN - Fish frozen in Japanese Ice Rink IMO, This has a huge ick factor
    ...See More
  • meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Because my Mom was in ICU with kidney problems at that time. When I bought it in bloom, it was in an ugly pot and transplanted into a pretty one, and never gave it a thought. I would now! I did then to make a gift look better, until my Mom gave it back to me, because she knew once she got it home, she would kill it. Some of the buds still opened until she got out, but some fell off anyways.
    I am suprised that you are so upset pirate girl, considering I was just trying to bring up a point others might learn from besides me. I think it is pointless to ask, what to others might seem a dumb question or stupid question... One slip up, can be so misinterpeted. I better sound like I know what I am talking about from now on. I will try not ask anymore, what seems to others, DUMB questions, as such otherwise I may make more enemies besides you. I sensed no kindness in this for some unknown reason. Sorry I riled you.
    Again I am sorry. I never expected such response such as this, especially from you....::-)
    Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

One other thing,
    I have to rearrange my plant room, and make room for more plants as they come in. In some instances, it forces me to put others in a different place to make room for higher sun loving plants. Sometimes too, when I clean that room , I mean spotless, I have to move them around to keep the floor around them clean and walls. And when I spray them of insects, I have to move them to a place where I can let water fall, not on my wood floors, then put them back. So I am not moving them around for fun, or for no reason.
    When I have to, I never remember EXACTLY where some went, or exactly what spot they were in.
    To make this point even more simpler, I just wanted to know if a plant is moved at all, will it fuss?
    I am talking even just moving them.
    I now know that different enviroments indoors can cause a problem, which is why I will not make it a practice.
    Most of my plants are doing well, but I happened to notice a couple that I moved change in appearance. Even drop leaves,.
    If this is the cause, then many here can see and not just think it is always watering issue. I think many of us,move them for some good reasons, or at least some think they are doing there plants a favor by bringing them to the shower, such as I thought.
    Just maybe for all of us that HAVE to move them frequenlty, we don't have to worry about root rot, but just an angry plant that doesn't like to be moved at all do to what seems to some, stupidity.
    I am done, for fear I might sound like an idiot again.
    Pirate girl, I think you overlooked my kindness and the appreciation I had for the good you said.
    Since you never mentioned me by name, such as you did AL, you certainly made a point to me...
    You can stop laughing at me now. I am done with this thread.

Thanks
    Mike

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    15 years ago

Mike, please don't take it that harsh. I can't speak for pirate girl, but for some of us that have been on this forum for ages and we get the similar questions and keep preaching the same things. It just gets a little frustrating sometimes.

• User
    15 years ago

Mike I apologize, as apparently your feelings got hurt, but I'm certain I didn't call you any names nor say anything abt you or what you said or asked was stupid or idiotic. Pls. do not put words in my mouth.

"I sensed no kindness in this for some unknown reason." Sorry, but don't quite get what this means.

I'm not upset, more frustrated & kept asking 'cause I really couldn't imagine the thinking behind it. So now you've explained it, I understand why it was done & needn't say more abt it; I'll even acknowledge you did it w/ the best of intentions!

"I better sound like I know what I am talking about from now on. I will try not ask anymore, what seems to others, DUMB questions, as such otherwise I may make more enemies besides you."

Please don't do that on my account, I certainly didn't ridicule you or anything like that. As to 'enemies', common on now?

No questions are stupid, silly or idiotic, nor would I ever say there were. Nor do I think it ghastly that I suggested common sense. We were all newbies once & I don't forget that.

Then again, plants can be messy things, maybe not for folks who need absolutely spotless & pristine, as that's not so easy w/ plants.

Pls. remember that in nature, there's only rain to rinse leaves off from time to time, there's nobody to do all this hands on care & nurturing.

Pls DO NOT LEAVE on my account, if you prefer, I simply won't address your comments from now on. I DO feel you're taking it rather more seriously than I meant it & over-reacting somewhat. If you feel I am the cause of that, again I apologize.

Hey Mentha,

If you shower w/ the plants, how do you avoid soil from going down the drain? I've always wondered abt that aspect of showering plants.

• lucy
    15 years ago

The majority of plants that lose leaves when moved are doing it because light levels change (and that also changes their need for water and possibly humidity). Plus temperature may change as well.

• Mentha
    15 years ago

Hi PG,
    I use a very chunky mix, mostly of perlite and lava rock, sometimes wood chunks, with a little soil mixed in. I do try to make a very well draining epiphyte mix for almost all my plants. We don't have much water pressure so at most anything that spalshes out of the pot is perlite or wood chunks which get caught in the hair trap then scooped out after the water has drained out. I'm not too concerned with dirt out of the pot, my children have more dirt wash off of them than my plants ever do ;)

Mike,
    I'm sorry to hear about your mom, I do hope she's feeling better. Without sounding heartless, might I suggest a catch pot next time you want to have a gift plant in a special pot?

• nanw_4wi
    15 years ago

Some plants react badly to being moved, but most don't.
    As for CC in bud/bloom....they're famous for blasting buds if their lighting changes.

As for the others.....when you move them to different windows, are you switching from direct to indirect light, or vice-versa?
    Indirect to direct often causes sunburn.

I noted that you stated you moved a palm 'just last week' from your 'home' to your 'work'. I also noticed that you state you live in zone 5.
    What was the temperature when you moved that plant?

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Hi Mike,

I also have a tendency to "move" my plants from one location to another. Some of my small Hoyas(inside) I bring outside to water, so I don't make a mess. So when I bring them back in, they never end up in the same exact location. So far, I have been lucky that there hasn't been any negative issues that I've seen. I also repotted a newly purchased CC in bloom because I didn't know any better at the time, lol...Surprising enough, most of the blooms opened! I move my CC from the front entry to back yard when the temps starts to warm up consistantly. I put it under a palm tree when its done blooming, and leave it there till I see buds.

• johnh_or
    15 years ago

Hey Mike...Xmas cactus are very touchy to changes in light levels and being moved....when in bloom. It will show it's displeasure by dropping buds. I never move my Xmas cacti...and they usually bloom 3 times a year.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hum.
    I would of felt rude and unappreciative if I had not returned to this thread and addressed what these members took the time to share.
    I wnated to thank you all for understanding what I was talking about. I figured I wasn't the only one that can't seem to leave my plants in one place for long periods of time, due to the reasons I gave above.
    Nanw,
    it was not a wise choice I made that day that I brought my palm at work, because that day it was in the teens, and even for a brief moment from a warm room to a warm car, in which I ran to my car I will tell you, that few seconds of cold air probably damaged it. I should of known. What was I thinking? Nada
    So I brought it back home on a warmer day a couple days ago, and now I am keeping my fingers crossed it will be ok in it's old spot. It was a kentia palm, in which one leaf takes forever to grow. I just wanted to brighten up my office a little. I will have to wait till spring.
    As for the christmass cactus, Oh well, we won't go there...
    I can't even express how much I appreciate you all. Thanks for helping me to understand. Thanks for sharing your experiences too.
    Thankyou mr_subjunctive,mentha,lucy,john,puglvr 1,nanw,gobluedjm, and pirate girl! I am really glad to know you all and many more that are a part of this site!
    As for pirate girl,
    I apologize for reacting to your post the way I normally would not of, knowing that you have always been there for me through the times I needed good advice!:-) I'm sorry:-)
    My bad, bad day that day, one to forget, no excuse though.
    I love it when you address my comments..That was, 99% of the time..lol
    Please, anyone else, share your experiences with moving your plants around , let me know how they fare..Please.
    Where are you, toni?
    I know you are constantly bringing your plants to the shower. lol
    Do you always put them back exactly in their same spots? If not, how do they do? Do they fuss such as some of mine have, especially when I have moved them all for pesticide spraying? I guess you could say that they are all moved every two weeks for spraying..Wish I didn't have to. When they are outside, they stay in the same spot all spring to fall. Do you have to move yours to another area to spray to protect your floors and walls?
    Take care everyone.
    Pray for warm weather soon. At least the 30's!
    Mike

• User
    15 years ago

From all that I've read & have seen abt the Xmas Cactus buds: it seems while the buds are developing is when they're most sensitive & susceptible to bud blast.

Apparently, once the buds are at least 3/4 of the length they'll develop, it's OK to move them. Supposedly, it's while they're setting buds that not just movement harms the buds, but in particular, changing the plant's orientiation to the light cause the buds to turn their 'necks', which ultimately causes them to drop.

I may be a bad plant Mom, but i don't move my plants & rarely even turn them. My former Xmas cactus (crapped out last winter after abt 8 yrs), hung on the edge of a west window frame. The side directly in the light always bloomed, the side that wasn't, didn't. Ultimately, the plant grew too lopsided & so I will not do that in the future.

I've started a couple of new ones in the last month & will try to remember to at least turn them.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If you want a few cuttings of a beautiful orange rare colored one priate girl, or anyone else, that I got from a friend years ago, that I never see sold at nurseries, e-mail and I will send you some..:-)
    I have plenty. I amabout to trim it now that this one is past bloom stage.
    What's worst for bud blast than these? Do you know?
    Infamous "gardenias"!!lol
    Later

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

OK, I have an observation that's really going to drive Mike nuts! ;-)

I've had an assortment of Xmas, Txsgiving, and Easter cacti over the years. Some of them for many years. All of them are fairly 'well-traveled', having moved with me several times.

I move them freely from room to room (for holiday display), I rotate them 180 degrees on their shelves (in all bud and flower stages), I repot them whenever I darn-well want to, shower them when they need dusting, etc. You get the picture.

They bloom heavily for me when they are supposed to without any special treatment whatsoever.....and I have never (NEVER) witnessed this trauma of bud blasting in spite of all of this mistreatment (ha).

So, I'm wondering....what's up with that?

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cooko, cooko, cooko.........cooko

• User
    15 years ago

I don't get the last comment, nor frankly Rhizo's post above, but Rhizo's been around here a long time & gives good comments/advice so I'd tend to believe that.

Mike: why do you feel they NEED trimming? Did someone tell you that? If you're trying to contain its size that's a specific & valid concern.

Also if you must trim, best wait til it's in active growth = putting on NEW growth. Usually for a month after blooming one withholds water & the plant tends to rest for at least a month after that HUGE effort it takes to do all that blooming. Then abt a month later I start watering again & by March they're usually making new growth. I only cut mine back if wanting to make a new one.

Again, I go back to nature, in the jungle where these grow (in the crotches of trees), there's no one there to trim them.

Mike, if you haven't already trimmed, I'd suggest you experiment w/ NOT trimming. I would like some of those orange blooming cuttings thanks, but am looking around & can't find what I might swap w/ you for them.

Hum ...

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If you have a swap....yippy!!
    If not, no problem....
    Yeah, I just wanted to keep it contained in size, and in shape. This plant has grown so much on one side, that the pot keeps falling over. I would like to encourage growth on the other side to grow it evenly on all sides. Any ideas?
    Pirate girl, I will wait until the time is right then.Makes sense. Then when I do, I will send a few cutting to you. I actually took some pictures of it when in bloom. I will see if I can post them ok. Everyone here wanted that plant! When I do, I will let you know. Do we like Xmass C or what?LOL
    Rhizo said she was going to drive me nuts!!!
    So the last comment was suppose to be....Cookoo, cookoo, like a cookoo clock. You know, going crazy!!lololol.
    By the way, I managed to not move one plant since I started this thread...:-)
    Believe this or not, but I havn't taken one to the shower, and they seem happy anyways.
    I think they are perfectly satisfied with the humidfier in that room and being left alone...:-)
    I might even but towels down on the floor, so they can catch the pest spray as it drips off the leaves without having to move all my plants to protect my floors.....
    Hum

• jeannie7
    15 years ago

Mike, plants do react to changes from many sources, including light, water, air currents and moisture levels.

Christmas Cactus has this habit of wishing to stay where they are when in bud and in bloom.
    It can be remembered that sunflowers follows the sun however you bend the bloom away from it. It will always turn back where the sun is. This is common in other plants.
    Same goes for Christmas Cactus. It follows the source of light from which it was receiving it. The bud then will twist itself to get back to the original sun it was used to.
    It will twist sometimes sufficiently to twist itself off.

When in bud and in bloom, try to place it back exactly in the same position it was before. The plant will not suffer from being moved--including being lifted and taken to where it can better be watered. But, it must be put back in the same position as before.
    Very simple operation.

Plants react to sunlight...or lack thereof.
    At this time of season, light levels are low...have been low since last September...but getting stronger. The spring equinox is well on its way. In another month, there will be sufficient sun to promote growth in plants.
    This then is the time to bring out the plants that we have saved, kept in dormancy, to respond to this increased level of light. Light levels will increase every day between now and June 21st when light levels begin to go down once more.
    Its all because the world is round and tilted on its axis.

Plants react strongly to light levels--as suggested, but we can try to give them light that they can use.
    Taking a plant from a western or southern exposure and placing in a room that gives poor light, or a northern exposure at this time, is not doing the plant any favours.
    Going the other way...from a northern exposure to a western or southern exposure can also prove disastrous.
    What the plant needs in this case is a slow deliberate increase in light levels by giving it in dribs and drabs.
    Pull it back from light, and inch it toward more light gradually so it can get used to the increase.

Plants do not like light continuously--i.e. excessive light for more than 16 hours; plants appreciate sleep. Continuous light causes plants to grow spindly, and they flop. Much like too much fertilizer, too much water, light given too much can do harm.

If you can appreciate that light, and water, and fertilizer can help or harm a plant, then you can take it one step further; re-potting a plant at the wrong time can also cause harm.
    Usually when a plant is given fresh potting soil, a new pot maybe, it is being told to generate new leaves, to begin growing. We do this often to our gardens.
    In winter, with the light levels so poor, re-potting can induce new growth which cant be supported by proper enough light.
    Its now February...re-potting can be done safely. By the time the plant uses what inducement the new soil brings about, the light levels will be there to support it.
    New fresh potting soil has in it, fertilizer sufficient to support new growth for a limited time....depending on the plant's ability to grow and the amount of food it is given.
    This might be enough for a few weeks or a couple months before outide fertilizing is called for. (if it needs it)

Generally, don't move a plant in bud, or in bloom, until it begins to lose such. Move a plant into another space for a reason....not just because you feel it would look better in another place.
    Changing its place is often changing its light. As it uses what light it once did, also it uses water it once did.
    Air temperature might be differnt, air moisture level might be different.
    All these changes can cause a plant to react--either for or against its well being.

Someone metioned she moves a Christmas Cactus all the time...going so far as 180...quite opposite to the usual advice.
    All plants have their own set of circumstances. No one plant can be placed in different surroundings and perform the same. Whether we wish to believe that a Christmas Cactus can be treated like that, don't take it as gospel....trust in doing further reading and experiement on your own....taking care to watch for changes--good or bad, and if such change is harmful, return it to its former place right away.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    15 years ago

It can be remembered that sunflowers follows the sun however you bend the bloom away from it. It will always turn back where the sun is. This is common in other plants.

Not true. Very immature flower buds of sunflowers are marginally heliotrophic (follow the sun), but blooms generally face east when under cultivation, and will face random directions when grown singly. Leaves are more helioitropic than any other plant part. Mature blooms do NOT follow the sun. Ranunculus is one plant I can think of that has heliotropic flower heads.

Usually when a plant is given fresh potting soil, a new pot maybe, it is being told to generate new leaves, to begin growing. ..... In winter, with the light levels so poor, re-potting can induce new growth which cant be supported by proper enough light.

This is simply not true - none of it.

Al

15 years ago

BTW - if Dori says that she has freely moved her cacti and rotated them 180* with no ill effect - I believe her. Her regular contributions are always sound in my estimation, while the offerings of some are habitually full of error and misinformation.

Al

• jeannie7
    15 years ago

Well, I can counter the other way....Al, not true, fresh potting soil given a plant will induce growth. If a plant is given such new soil at the wrong time....as in winter--it will generate new growth which, if the light levels are not enough to support it, such new growth will have a tough time making it.
    Re-potting is discouraged when such light levels are low.

What advice is given when lily production falls.
    We suggest the bed is dug up, and replanted. This is enough often to promote more production.
    Soil can wear out. The plant has used what the soil can offer and outside fertilizing has proven not sufficient.
    The advice given many times is to change the soil.
    Plants thrive in sunlight....and sometimes in lack of it.
    When a plant is deprived of light it requires, the plnat suffers. By pulling a "forced" plant out of light, it slows down the metabolism. Giving it increased light causes the flowering to increase---and at the same time, speeds up the time the flowering takes place.
    When you wish such plant to not flower so speedily, withdrawing such from water will also contribute to its slowing down its flowering and extend it.
    If such a plant were to be re-potted, that could be enough to induce more flowering, faster flowering, and less time flowering.

If a member wishes to express an opinion that she has read, or experienced, that is fine and dandy...others can read into it and use their own good senses to believe or not whether it has merit.
    When one just follows around another and offers up what she/he believes in another member's contribution, that person is not offering anything of sustenance...the person is just going along with somebody else's opinion.

The "I believe" routine gets monotonous when its by one person all the time.
    Such repetition does suggest another possibility...its the one and same person affirming what has been said.

If a person wishes to affirm another's, then at least, give some suggestion the person knows about what she/he is talking.
    To suggest the person has, in the past, offered good suggestions, where's the meat?

I believe that guy in Washington is sincere....but do I know that he will follow through with what he says.
    Time will tell.....and then I can offer an opinion based on my sense of understanding.

15 years ago

Good grief.

Just so we're all clear on the bud flinging issue:

I first found out the problems that some people had with these plants right here in the gardenweb, many years ago! I sort of scoffed at it because it had never happened with mine. But I've learned that bud blasting is quite common.

I've often brought up my personal experiences with these plants in hopes that someone will be able to explain why mine seem so affable no matter what I do to them, while others have plants that seem to just be waiting to toss those buds and flowers to the floor! lol

I'm certainly not suggesting that others abuse their holiday cacti like I do! No way.

15 years ago

"Well, I can counter the other way....Al, not true, fresh potting soil given a plant will induce growth. If a plant is given such new soil at the wrong time....as in winter--it will generate new growth which, if the light levels are not enough to support it, such new growth will have a tough time making it.

You can counter any way you wish, but "just sayin' it don't make it so." Normal plant growth can be limited by the soil, but no soil will allow a plant to grow at any greater rate than it is genetically programmed to. The very best soil is only one piece in the puzzle that allows a plant to grow up to it's genetic potential - it can NEVER surpass that potential.

A plant's growth potential IS determined by genetics - HOW it actually grows is determined by cultural conditions. WHEN it grows is determined by the plant's internal Circadian/endogenous rhythms. Changing the soil of a plant in winter is not enough to trump nature's rhythms. Plants that are quiescent (not dormant, just taking a little winter vacation) will remain quiescent until their internal rhythms and light levels stimulate them to growth.

While a winter change of soil may eliminate some potential limits on growth and allow the plant to grow better once it IS finally stimulated to growth, it will most certainly not stimulate a resting plant to growth. In fact, it will have the opposite effect. Disturbing the roots sends chemical messengers throughout the plant that stimulate the plant to concentrate energy on replacing rootage damaged in transplanting, which slows growth of above-ground parts.

You jump to the conclusion that because at certain times of the year repotting a plant results in a growth spurt it will do so at all times. Under no circumstances is what you said true, because A) A repotting during an active growth phase will/can NOT stimulate or cause new growth - it simply allowed normal growth, that had been restricted by poor cultural conditions to resume. B) A repotting during a period of quiescence will NOT suddenly be enough to overcome how the plant is genetically programmed.

IF you were using a durable and structurally stable soil instead of something peat based, there would NEVER be a reason to replace the soil because of your reasoning: "Soil can wear out. The plant has used what the soil can offer and outside fertilizing has proven not sufficient." because the soil would NOT wear out. You would only need to replace soils when the planting became root bound to the point that the condition was impacting growth and vitality. With a proper soil, you could have watered properly so no salts were building up, and you would have full control over your nutrition program, so "fertilizing would never prove insufficient."

There may be some minimal, short term charge of fertilizer in some bagged container soils, but beyond that, your plant's nutritional needs are entirely up to you. When we focus on container soils, all the most important considerations are about structure, not nutrition. If you are depending on your soil to supply your plant's nutrients, you are REALLY missing the boat.

Al

• Mentha
    15 years ago

Well, to throw more fodder to the fire, I do move my CC and all my epiphytic cacti all the time. About 300 of my 400+ plants are different epiphytic cacti. Most of them epiphyllum and schlumbergera. I have been growing them for quite some time. I did not suggest moving it because it is common thought that moving a CC in bloom is taboo. I find that temperature changes and fiddling with the roots affect the blooms way more than a change in lighting. Many times bud blast is caused by a forced bloom, and not a natural one, meaning they were forced into darkness in the greenhouse, before sale. They are also sprayed with chemicals to make them branch out and cause more buds, you can tell this when there are more than two pads and/or more than two blooms/ joint. Usually causing blooms and stems to be smaller and wimpier. This is bad because it will cause the plant to fail quickly.

I must add that I really don't care one way or the other if they bloom. As long as they are healthy and not rotted, or virused, I am happy. The blooms will come when they want to. Some hybrids bloom 4 times a year, others every other year, it all depends on the hybrid, not the care or lack thereof.

• daw_etc
    15 years ago

I move my plants to the window sill and back again :)
    But I keep plants that like lower light on one side of the house and those that like high light on the other side. If you do it that way, they should be getting the same amount of light if the window is facing the same direction (and there's no obstructions) right? And then I can't imagine it would mind being moved unless you put it in a room you never go in so then you forget to water it, haha. 8-]

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just wanted to thank everyone for all your ideas and help?

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Hey Mike,
    First, I pray your mom is going to resume health. I hope she has improved since you started this thread. Is she better?

You asked about moving and showering plants..Mike, lol, believe me, I don't run around carrying plants to the shower..oh Lord, it'd take a week..by the time I finished, I'd have to restart the project. lol.

After their shower or hosing, when plants are returned, they're within inches where they were before their bath..
    I'm also into rotating plants, 1/4 turn, unless they're in bud. Once a bud is spotted, on any plant, it's not moved. Nor is it misted, showered or sprayed.

Mike, it's not necessary spraying insecticides every week. If your plants are prone to mites, then every two or three wks is fine. I've been lucky, must have a plant Angel, because so far, the last two years, plants have been bug-free. They were sprayed twice in 2008. The last time, in autumn, before bringing indoors. As a preventative.
    I did spray my tree Gardenia since leaves felt sticky, but couldn't find any bugs..again, it was sprayed as a preventative, so far, so good.
    The same applies to showering. If you feel like showering plants once a week, then do it, if not, don't. But honestly, when it comes to Gardenias, that's one plant that needs and loves water. Not wet soil, but humidity.

The only plants that get weekly showers/hosed in sink are Gardenias, Coffee Trees, Orchids, Calatheas and family, and Hibiscus. I also allow African Violets to soak in sink once a month..water soaks up through drainage holes. Oh, and Alocasias..

Misting is done daily. Sometimes twice. Plants that do not get misted/showered/hosed are cactus and succulents.

So, nope, IMO, relocating will not harm plants. However, if they are moved to a different location, light, humidity, etc, must suit their needs. For instance, Caltheas need humidity..the air in our living room is somewhat dry. Therefore, my Calatheas' leaves would brown in no time, if placed in the LR windows. After their shower, they go back on the shelf, next to an indoor fountain, 5 feet from NW windows. Semi-unheated room.
    But again, if a plant is in bud, they stay in place. Especially Christmas/Thanksgiving/Easter Cactus.

Take care, and hope your mom does well..Toni

15 years ago

Mike - you realize there is an alternate school of thought about the (in)effectiveness of misting. You can >

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Al, and your point is??
    Yes, there is an alternate school of thought for misting. There are alternate thoughts regarding numerous issues. Politics, Religion, the list is endless. End results are the same as discussing Misting. Nada.

Mike, misting is optional. There is NO rule stating it is mandatory. You will not be thrown in the slammer if the police discover you don't spray plants.
    Al posted (ONE) GW link: Misting? Be as it may, as usual, nothing was resolved on that thread. After 15 posts, including the author, it ended, quite abruptly.

Mike please Google, 'misting house plants.'
    There are hundreds of links, posted by average growers and nursery owners/growers, who advise spraying plants.
    You will find, I am not the only person in the world who mists, not only for the joy, but beneficial reasons. Unless someone asks, I don't feel parroting why I mist, daily, necessary.
    Mike, I'd bet all my plants, (now over 400) to yours, if you were to start a daily misting program, and your plants rotted or diseased, my plants would be yours. On the other hand, if you lose, I win your plants? Deal? :) Toni
    PS,, I did not include insects, Mike, because you mentioned soome of your plants were buggy. BTW, do you mist? Toni

• daw_etc
    15 years ago

I think misting helps plants that like humidity. I thought that was a given but maybe not??? o_O

15 years ago

"Al, and your point is??"

I thought it was clear. My point was: There is an alternate school of thought about the (in)effectiveness of misting.

Jeez - I didn't say anything bad about you, didn't comment on your advice, ..... I didn't even express an opinion - just made a simple statement. Isn't that just a LITTLE touchy?

I could easily find a way to fit a little caveat into each of my posts saying it's my opinion that regular misting is useless because it only raises humidity for a few minutes and ....., but I don't - because it would be inflammatory and might be taken as an intentional jab against you.

Al

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL... and thanks!

I would love to give you one to make it 401.:-)

Toni,
    You are also a very caring person, for your plants, and for me to succeed, for everyone here. You have helped many here for a long time!

You will know, eventually what I decided to do.:-)

As for Al' you certainly care too..:-)..
    You also have some of the best ideas. You too have helped many here!

Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences with us that have been proven to be great results for each of you, and allowing me the freedom to see what works best for mine and choose..

It is good to see, there can be such varying ideas, and yet none of you run in the other direction, when one feels their suggestions are being questioned or diagreeded upon.
    This is why I have not left this forum. You are all brave, and very generous.

It is like my tool box. Different tools for different reasons, and yet they all help me build a beautiful house. You are all in my tool box, and thanks for helping me to build beautiful plants!:-)

Mike

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    15 years ago

Mike,
    If you start misting think about the water you use. You might get spots.
    I don't mist because here in dry CA it just evaporates immediatly. And also because of the water here is so bad it would leave spots.
    So you have to weigh the pro's and con's and a lot of newbies don't know or even think of the pro's and con's.

15 years ago

Actually, if you're in SoCal, it's likely drier here (in our heated homes - lower relative humidity - you hardly ever use central heat, right?) than in Death Valley, & the effects of misting are prolly lost to the dry air even more rapidly here than there.

Al

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    15 years ago

A1, my heat has been on since Dec. Living inland it gets cold and I get frost at least 7-8 times a year. Coastal fog doesn't make it this far. It's the winds that are so drying even in winter. I live in a canyon so pretty much have constant wind/breezes and static electricity all the time.
    It can rain one day and the top inch of clay soil is dry the next day.

15 years ago

I feel so bad for you! ;o) We only had 1 day in all of Jan above freezing & for most of the month temps hovered around the -10 to 10* range. Winter storm warning here for tomo - 5-8" predicted. Wanna trade? I have a citrus-growing GW friend up near SF, and I often tease her about our varying takes on winter.

Take care.

Al

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    15 years ago

No thanks. Thats why I live here now. But don't let those Rose Bowl Parade days fool you though.
    I tell the natives here they don't know what cold is.
    We know we are spoiled.

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Daw, Yup, I sure do believe misting helps increase humidity. Naturally, not as well as a humidifer, but it does help. Especially when plants are grouped together.
    Also, spraying removes dust, dust clog pores. Dust particles obstruct light.
    Several times while misting, I spied buds/flowers I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. It's a good way to spot insects, fine webbing, and as far as I'm concerned, deter mites.
    Living in Il, where winter days are/seem more cloudy than sunny, sunlight is a blessing.

Mike, thank you. I'd like to think, in the last 5? 6? 7? years I helped someone. :)
    About #401, that is soon to be. Last Nov, I ordered plants from two nurseries, totally forgetting about it. Plus, my newest love is Geraniums. My older babies are getting lonely, so they need new, colorful friends. lol..

Al Wrote: "I could easily find a way to fit a little caveat into each of my posts saying it's my opinion that regular misting is useless because it only raises humidity for a few minutes and ....., but I don't - because it would be inflammatory and might be taken as an intentional jab against you."

Well, Al, you managed to find a way to fit a little caveat into your posts..Between Daw and Mike. It was inevitable, and yes a jab.
    Why in heavens name would I insinutate you said anything 'bad' about me?

If one is worried about spots, spray a couple leaves to test..If spots aren't, well, spotted, no pun intended, there shouldn't be any in the future.
    A friend up north in IL has hard water..She mists daily..no problems. If one is unsure if their water will mar leaves, then test, if you intend to mist. Like testing hair coloring. For those of us who color our hair. Who'd want spotted hair? lol

Mike, thanks for the thread..hugs, and Peace 'V'

15 years ago

Look, Toni. I couldn't have been MORE gentle in disagreeing with you than what I said. "... you realize there is an alternate school of thought about the (in)effectiveness of misting." If you can't deal with or tolerate something as gentle as that (especially after you post the same advice about misting in half your posts) and feel you need to come hunting for me, it's not MY problem. I never said a derogatory word about you - I never even took the time to disagree directly with you.

I'm fully capable of defending myself, or going on the attack, but even after the derogatory things you've said, still I don't. If you want to be treated in kind, then why don't you pull back your guns?

Incidentally - if you're fully aware that the misting thing creates controversy, isn't it inflammatory to continually post it and then point at me when I disagree - no matter how gently?

Take a close look upthread & you'll see that you're the one who addressed me twice and the only one between us that twice made derogatory comments, so please don't point the finger at me.

Al

• takadi
    15 years ago

Man after reading this, I guess it isn't just me after all! Wow

• tootswisc
    15 years ago

This is better then Ann Landers(Why do like to read that column)

I am off schedule with my plants and it shows. When on schedule, I just love tending to them weekly. Most of them are in plastic or clay pots that sit in a decorative pot. I bring them one my one to the sink and spray or water them so that water runs thru the pot. They sit on the sink until the water stops dripping out of them. I seem to love this actvity.

I have been busy over the holidays and into the new year and thus...I am off schedule and find myself watering a grouping of plants at a time and I can't keep strait which group is next.

I have favorite spots and favorite pots. Plants that have pleased me will get both a good spot and pot. I don't move my plants around a lot but I have downsized my collection and I am an empty-nester with a big house. I generally move plants so that I can enjoy them more and if I notice this bothers the plant, I move it back to the place I know it likes and leave it there until they all get moved out into the breeze way.

Orchids don't seem to be fussy. I just moved two phals into the top pot spot and boy do they receive applause from everyone who walks into my living room.

I tend to mist plants when I am stressed and need plant care to soothe myself. It helps me so I do not over water them. Also if a plant that needs more humidity seems to be dropping leaves, I feel misting could possible help.

Diane, who is trying to think spring

Happy New Year BTW

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Hey Toots, long time no see..I hope you're well.

You downsized? Too much work? :) I down and up, well, normally up..lol..most of my Philos went to an online friend who lives up north. Before doing so, I clipped shoots from a couple favs..lol..
    Are your Phals in bloom? I also reduced orchids. Down to Vanilla, Ludisa, and one Den. Ludisa hasn't bloomed 2 winters, so I don't know if it's not getting enough fertilizer or there's another problem. It gets less light, (in a different location) so that could be the reason.

Yes, let's hope spring hurries..It was 70F degrees a couple wks ago..My tree Gardenia was put outside, during the day. It's now 24F, and snowing!
    Well, officially, there's what, 28 days until spring? Too bad Mother Nature can't read the Calendar..lol..

Is it cold in WI? Brrrr..Take care..now that spring is nearing, perhaps you'll once again, upsize.. :) Toni

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

I have only one experience with humidity.

A few years ago, my sister's boyfriend rescued a "false aralia" - Dizygotheca elegantissima - from a care-home. Anyhow, this thing was pathetic....lank leaves and dying stems. Ultimately, all but two stems died - and one of those lost its top, which curled down and dried up.

I did some research on the plant, and finally found an ID. In this research, I read several times that this plant likes humidity, but does not to be wet. I also read that it resents being moved.

So, I first instructed my sister's boyfriend leave the plant in one location. Then, we put the pot on top of wine-corks in a saucer, so that the container itself would never touch the water. This technique was something I learned from Lucy (and Pirate Girl, I think), over in the Bonsai Forum.

Well, the False Aralia has turned right around. The dried and dead stem has come back to life, and has begun branching below the dried tip. The new leaves are prolific.

So that's my opinion. If you have something finnicky that likes humidity, try a wide watering tray with marbles, rocks, corks, et cetera, to keep the container above the water directly.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Everyone contributing to this thread, thanks so much.
    I just got the time to read through this whole thread again. With all your ideas, who could go wrong?

Ronalawn82, I like what you said at the end!

Everyone else, thanks for the knowledge, answers, experiences,viewpoints, and encouragement!:-)

Mike

• User
    15 years ago

Could someone pls. state what AOTA means. TIA

15 years ago

In this context, AOTA stands for 'all of the above'. I think. :-)

• User
    15 years ago

Thanks so much Rhizo, I hadn't a clue.

• Ellies_Mom_North_Alabama
    6 years ago

That was an interesting read!