SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

Best fruit trees to espalier against a south facing fence?

peachymomo
11 years ago

The only place on my property with enough sun for fruit growing is about 50 feet long but only 8 feet wide, along a south facing fence. I want to start practicing espalier, both because it's cool looking and because it will allow me to fit more fruit into my small space. I'm trying to figure out what the best use of the space will be, and which fruits will be best suited to the spot.

I've read that heat loving fruits such as figs and peaches can be helped by the radiated heat from a south facing fence or wall, does the same heat negatively effect apples?

I want to have three espaliered apple trees, but I'm not sure they will be okay against my south facing fence. I live in Sonoma County where in the summer most of the time we have cool, foggy mornings and evenings with warm or hot days. But the winds usually shift at least once or twice a year, giving us 100 degree temperatures without the nice cool down. Would a day like that ruin apples espaliered against a south facing fence? I've read that they can become mealy if they get too much heat when ripening.

If the heat will be a problem, how far would the apples have to be away from the fence to not be affected? Would a foot be enough, or should they be farther away?

I would like to plant three apples, two apricots, one fig, and a couple of grapes along the fence, and then have some blueberries and a little vegetable bed in front of them. But the arrangement I have drawn up only works if the apples won't be hurt by the extra heat from the fence.

What do you think?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County