SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenraider72

help with corn, pollen/lack of any silk

jenraider72
11 years ago

Hello, I must say that I have never planted vegetables/fruit before; I started with plants/flower gardens 3 years ago. My 12 year old son went and bought a packet of corn seeds, and we gave him a fenced in area to plant. All seemed well, but after looking into corn online, we are now worried that the pollen (and some looks brown/reddish-bad?ok?) is starting to drop, but no silks have emerged yet, and I have no idea where to look or how to tell if any cobs have even begun forming. From what I've read, the silks emerge, the pollen falls and pollenates each silk (hopefully) and that is what forms the kernals on the cob. Now, we are in NJ and he planted in June, and the stalks are around 3-4 ft, maybe in height. I have a picture link if anyone can tell me if we are ok, and also where to look on the stalks for the emerging silk/cob. I read on one site that silk emergence may happen around 3 days after pollen starts to fall, but again, how do I know where the silk will appear- the stalks look uniform in width from top to bottom; I thought a small section would be at least a little thicker from the small cob. Thanks so much, I don't want my son to become discouraged; he has been so proud of his corn, and now he's worried. Thanks again.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery